Thread: New Tools with comments and questions

New Tools with comments and questions

I decided to buy some more tools that i did not have with the money i got from selling some bowls the other day (pic's attached). I ordered from Craft Supplies who sent the items out very quick.

1). Calipers - Needed a decent pair of them - inches/cm's/decimal but im not sure what the abs is or what its used for - any ideas ? Either way im very happy with the quality of them and they come with a very nice case
    2). Raptor gages - made of steel and easy to use - I have the wolverine jig etc and i know i could do without them but for $20.00 for 3 I think its worth it. They are also sending me another one (60) cheaper with no shipping charge.
    3). I thought i ordered a 2 prong spur center and this is the one that came - (Axminister Power Center). At first i thought about sending it back and then realizing that it is a much better one than what i thought i ordered i decided to keep it. I am sure it is my error because it was on my wishlist on their website. Invoice shows this is the one i ordered and price shown was within $10.00 difference. This is one heavy duty Center..............
    One thing is i give Craft Supplies 2 thumbs up they have good customer service and my deliveries are fast.........Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calipers 001.jpg   Calipers 004.jpg   Calipers 006.jpg  

Congrats on the new goodies, Dan. Stu made some things that do the same sort of function as the Raptors. They look handy for changing profiles.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I hope that spur center is made from good (hard) steel. Cheap ones are useless. I have had two with spurs whose edges actually bent over when I tried pounding into Osage Orange. I know OO is hard but steel should be harder.
    Otherwise, congrats on the new tools. I would appreciate a short product review after you have used the Raptors for a while.

'Scuse my ignorance but what are the raptors for?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    'Scuse my ignorance but what are the raptors for?

Pete
    They are used on the sharpening grinder. Set on the tool rest and, somehow, help line up the exact angle of dangle that you need for optimum sharpening.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys. I have all my gouges at 45 so don't need to change anything and the skew, roughing gouge etc I eyeball. Takes seconds. Seems to work. Not really an adherent to the sharpening cult and anyway don't have any room for all the different tools etc available

Pete