Wood Pile Update

Dan Mosley

I spent part of the day cutting up the wood i got with my 14" electric chain saw (wife says i should stop being a cheap A__ and buy a good one and i wouldnt struggle when cutting so much). One good thing is i had a kid that has been doing some painting for me interested in helping so he and I cut up what we could to seal it and put it somewhere out of the sun.
We used wood decking sealer (2 coats - I had a gallon laying around)because my order for anchor seal has not arrived but when it does ill go over them again with it.
Alot of the wood has cracks in the pith showing so i tried to cut them back to get rid of the cracking and then cut down the middle thru the pith. Then seal them for bowl blanks that ill start to cut round on my bandsaw on my next day off and seal them up again with anchor seal.
On Some of the logs they did not have any cracking on the ends at the pith so i sealed up the ends and put them in the garage uncut for now.
I am trying to process the wood as quick as i can by doing one of the above two methods to get it out of the direct sunlight.

1). Origninal pile that was given to me
2) Whats left to cut up
3). What was cut and put in the garage

Attachments

• Pile-4.jpg
    Pile-4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Pile-2.jpg
    Pile-2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Pile-1.jpg
    Pile-1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 43
I see you moved this to its own thread (good call), so I'll move my comment too...

Start saving up your bowl sales money, find a local dealer you like, and get yourself a Stihl or Husky chainsaw (but not one of the Huskies from the Borg). You'll won't regret it. :thumb: I could have saved about $150 on my Stihl if I had not bought the Poulan first. ;) The Poulan served its purpose, but it only ran decent for about a year or so. Might still be fixable, but I didn't want to invest any more money in an underpowered saw. Going from the Poulan Wild Thing to the Stihl MS390 was like going from a Subaru Brat to a Ford F-350.

Vaughn and gang i saw this chain saw for sale locally - I don't know much about them so i thought i would see if you think this is a good one or not.

STIHL 026 CHAIN SAW. 20INCH BAR AND CHAIN. RUNS EXCELLENT-$150.00

Attachments

• Stihl Saw.jpg
    Stihl Saw.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 17
I agree with Vaughn on the Stihl or Husk pro grade saws. I would still stay away from the consumer grade husky. If you want a gas saw I would also look at the Makita saws. They are very highly rated and are made by Dohlmer in Germany. Their 64cc saw is a commercial grade and I have seen it for under $500 a few places.

I personally can't stand using a gas saw around the house. They are noisy and just a general pain. I have been looking for about a year for a used Stihl E220 or E20 electric which is their commercial grade electric and will take up to a 20 inch bar. They have an all magnesium case and are intended to be used hard. The down side is new they are $539:eek:. I finally was able to buy one about a week and a half ago on e-bay for a little over $200 I just got it yesterday and it is a nice saw and seems to have impressive power, but the chain was so dull that it would not cut butter. The project for the day is to get a pro sharpening on the blade and make a few test cuts.

Alan

I see you moved this to its own thread (good call), so I'll move my comment too...

Start saving up your bowl sales money, find a local dealer you like, and get yourself a Stihl or Husky chainsaw (but not one of the Huskies from the Borg). You'll won't regret it. :thumb: I could have saved about $150 on my Stihl if I had not bought the Poulan first. ;) The Poulan served its purpose, but it only ran decent for about a year or so. Might still be fixable, but I didn't want to invest any more money in an underpowered saw. Going from the Poulan Wild Thing to the Stihl MS390 was like going from a Subaru Brat to a Ford F-350.

Just a note about the chain saws... when I bought my new saw I went with the Craftsman (LOML was buying and has a Sears account).. I asked who made the Craftsman and was told that Husqvarna made it, plus they make the Poulon as well as the Husky... I think Stihl is still making their own.

BTW, My Craftsman is a cutting machine... does a great job.. 18" with 42 CC motor... I broke the piston ring and froze the motor in my Poulon that I bought from Lowe's a few year back... cut a lot of wood with it, but when I tried the 52" Champion Oak at my friends house it went kablouie....

wood pile update

I used to have an 026 with a 24" bar on it,an sold it about 8 yrs ago when I moved south,and I ain't forgiven myself yet.It was a monster saw,it never met a log it wouldn't eat up without even trying.I would grab it up in a heartbeat.