Spalted HF

This is another one made from wood that Larry sent me. Red Maple; spalt, figure, voids, qiute a bit going on. It was almost too far gone in the spalting, very pecky. I gave it a good soaking with full strength poly, let it harden a few days, then turned to finish, it worked great. The top and bottom are soft maple, painted black, poly all over. 7"x11".

Attachments

• Larry's HF.jpg
    Larry's HF.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 58
Outstanding Barry! Your right, this wood does have alot going on. :thumb:

Painted maple...that's the kind of ebony I can afford! :)

I loved these forms from the first time I found Cindy Drozda and this is an excellent example. Hard to get leg and finial right but looks like you have it spot on. Complements rather than detracts from that beautiful wood.

Pete

Barry, I love this. This is a beautiful piece.
Now I have to ask a stupid question. Does the top come off? Is this just to "look" at or does it have other function.
As if looking at it wouldnt be enough. I can only dream of making something this nice.

Tom

Thanks for the complements everyone!

Does the top come off? Is this just to "look" at or does it have other function.

Yes Tom, the the finial lifts off. there is about a 3/4" opening in the top. But basically it's just to look at,... I think. I just made it cause it's what all the "cool" turners do.;) I don't even know why I make them, they don't have a function, I haven't sold any..I guess you could use it as an urn for the ashes of a small animal (if it didnt have holes in it). I probably won't make any more (unless I start selling some) now that I've checked that box, I'll move on to something else in my turning journey.