My new used chainsaw, mini review.

Alan Trout

Not wanting to hijack Dan's thread I figured I would start this one. I have needed another chainsaw for a while and wanted a good quality electric saw so I did not have to listen to the noise and deal with the mess of a gas unit. There are not many choices in a high end electric and they all are expensive The Stihl MSE220 retails for right at $539!!.

I have been looking for a used MSE220 or E20 Which I think is the exact same saw just an earlier model for almost a year now. I have been watching Craig's List, E-bay etc. Every once in a while they would come up as new units but still over $400. Well about a week and a half ago a used one came up on e-bay that looked OK not perfect but serviceable. Cost me about $230 but I was willing to take a chance. I got it late yesterday afternoon plugged it in and it ran just fine but the chain was beyond dull. Overall it has a few scratches but it is in good shape, no excessive wear and nothing broken, they took the plug off but installed a 50ft extension cord which is OK with me and other than being dull the chain was in good shape. I took the chain for a professional sharpening this morning because I wanted to give it a try on some dry mesquite.

I am impressed. To me it has as much power as a 50CC saw but not the noise. It is a heavy saw. It weights as much as a gas saw of comparable size. It has great torque, you might slow the blade down but it does not stop. It went through about a 16 inch piece of dry mesquite length wise without trouble. Of course the quality of the saw is fabulous. It has a magnesium case and the tensioning mechanism is very heavy duty and works very well. The chain also seems to stay tight. The saw seems to be made to last.

I know gas units are more versatile but, I just hat dealing with gas chainsaws. Keeping fresh fuel, changing plugs, cleaning filters, the mess, the smell etc. is just a pain. I think I found the answer for me. This saw works great! :thumb:

Attachments

• chainsaw.jpg
    chainsaw.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 45
I cut up some trees for an older feller I know, he brought out his electric chain saw, looked like a cousin to the toy chainsaw I bought for my grandson. He plugged it in and man was I surprised!! :eek::eek: That was a little cutting fool! For farm work, wouldn't quit using my STIHL, but in the wood shop, that would be the berries!!! Each tool is designed for a purpose.

Congrats, Alan. :thumb: If Stihl's electric saws are on par with their gas ones, you're gonna be real happy every time you use yours.

Thanks all,

John, This is the largest model they make the E20. Of course it will take the 20 inch bar but mine has the 18 on it. That should do just fine for most of my cutting needs. I need to get a couple of more chains for it but I think it should do a nice job. Most of the wood I get is from our local brush collection. Most of the wood is already cut up I just need to cut it into blanks so for 90+% of the stuff I do a good electric should be more than adequate.

Alan

I have a Makita, which has been excellent. It only has a 16 inch bar, but suits my needs. It's German -made, by Dolmar I think. I saw very tough stuff with it, mesquite and desert ironwood, no problems. I also like it cause it uses a 16"x56 tooth chain which is very common, and cheap; I go through a lot of chains. You can get it on sale on AMAZON sometimes for $200 shipped.

Stu,

I agree that Shindaiwa has always made very good tools. I find it kind of interesting in my neck of the woods they were very popular in the yard service business but now you hardly see any of their products. They just are not very popular anymore. I don't know if it is an issue with their distribution network or a competition issue.

Barry,

The Makita saws are great. If I was looking for a gas saw I would seriously consider their 64cc saw like you say they are made by Dolmer and are always very highly rated.

Alan