Shop Built Router Table

Dan Larson

Just thought I'd introduce myself by sharing a recent project with you all. After debating for a while whether to buy or build a router table, I finally deceided that the self-built option better suited my needs. A flat top, stable base, easy bit changes, and good dust collection were my priorities. Many of the ideas that I incorporated into the design were from Pat Warner's books and website. At some point in the future, I'll need to build a better fence. I'm open to suggestions on fence designs...
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Dan

good looking bench Dan! I like the dust collection system.

Didn't see that this was the first post...Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Dan, and nice job on the router table. Looks like it'll get the job done just fine. I agree with you on the fence, but that's something that'll likely evolve somewhat as your needs change anyway. The way you did the dust collection hookup is very interesting.

I've got a router table extension table on my tablesaw, and I'm trying to scheme up a good way to add below-the-table DC to mine. I'll have to give your approach some more thought. I've been also thinking of making a box to surround the router itself, but it'll need to be lightweight and easily removable. I'm wondering if rare earth magnets would be a workable way to hold the box in place.

Welcome to Family Woodworking, Dan. That looks like a fine router table with good dust collection.

I bought my first ever router table top this week. Now, I need to build some sort ofd support for it.

First post.... a gloat WITH pictures....I think you'll fit right in with the rest of the family...Welcome.

Nice looking router table :thumb:

Also just noticed what looks like 5 pound weights at the bottom of the base for weight. Pretty neat idea.

Doug
I noticed the weights, too. Great idea. Weights in the shop are handy. :D

Quilt Board 2 Sanding 600.jpg

It's amazing how much faster the belt sander is when it weighs ten extra pounds. (I was intentionally trying to wear out the sander, too. Still haven't, though.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Dan. ;)

Welcome Dan!

Great first post! :thumb:

I think you made the right choice by building your own table, I built mine, and I hope it is the last one I build :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!
I've got a router table extension table on my tablesaw, and I'm trying to scheme up a good way to add below-the-table DC to mine. I'll have to give your approach some more thought.
One potential advantage of this approach is that the DC port picks up the dust before if hits the router motor housing... I'm hoping that by keeping dust out of the motor housing it will last longer... time will tell if this is true.
Nice work Dan. Did you use 3/4" baltic birch?
Yup, it is 3/4" baltic birch that I face laminated to make 1 1/2". I did this to make the top support more stable than solid stock would have been... while I was at it, I also used it for the leg assembly. In hindsight I should have just used solid stock for the legs... would have been plenty stable for this part & a lot less trouble!

Dan

hi dan, good to see ya`!
that ought to stay flat.....you`ve overbuilt it to the point i like it:D ...nice job! tod

Welcome Dan :thumb:

Interesting, different approach on the dust collection placement.
Does it capture all?

Welcome Dan :thumb:

Interesting, different approach on the dust collection placement.
Does it capture all?
Generally speaking, the port on my table does a great job catching the really fine dust during all types of cuts. Also, the dust collection is very efficient when I'm doing edge-forming cuts. Below is a shot while using a 1/2" roundover... as you can see, nearly everthing is caught by the dust collector.
B.jpg
The one type of cut where I've noticed that my dust port is inadequate is cutting dados. During the first few inches of the cut, a lot of chips are flung across the left side of the table and onto the floor.
C.jpg
The way I have dealt with this is to just clamp a hose onto the left side of the fence, just below the surface of the table. With this setup, the chips run across the table and then into the hose.
D.jpg
At some point in the future, I'll build a nice collection hood that I can attach just below the left edge of the table.

Thanks Dan. :thumb: You've given me an idea for my dual router table. I've been :huh: my head ever since I built it. Dust collection on it is poor

Welcome to the forums, Dan, and nice job on the router table. Looks like it'll get the job done just fine. I agree with you on the fence, but that's something that'll likely evolve somewhat as your needs change anyway. The way you did the dust collection hookup is very interesting.

I've got a router table extension table on my tablesaw, and I'm trying to scheme up a good way to add below-the-table DC to mine. I'll have to give your approach some more thought. I've been also thinking of making a box to surround the router itself, but it'll need to be lightweight and easily removable. I'm wondering if rare earth magnets would be a workable way to hold the box in place.
Vaughn,

I saw your post on using rare earth magnets, to hold a box for dust collection under your table saw extension router table. I think it would work with out a problem. I have 2 magna-switch feather boards from Rockler. They are rated to over 200lbs. before break away. They are increadibly strong.

Magna-switch sells their switch magnets separately for use in jigs and such. Not a bad way to go.

-Sean

Welcome. :wave:
And that is one stout table. Should serve you well. :thumb:
I had to look a couple times at the 'wheels' to figure out how you would bring them into play. :huh: Then it dawned, those are weights for more stability. Good thinking. And if you got them at garage sale prices, very inexpensive.

Hey Dan ... first and foremost WELCOME to FWW, can't find a nicer group of folks anywhere in cyberspace.

I really like your dust collection concept, like Vaughn's my router is mounted in my table saw extension wing, was thinking of the standard box but it will interfere with the saw's access door. My extension is an open bottom torsion box, your concept should fit perfectly and solve the door problem. Thanks for sharing.

Tony.