Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cramped quarters

cramped quarters

those 8 sheets of pre-finished cherry ply has gotta go,goit 'em cheap enough to pass up, but had no storage available... my smokehouse has no room for more lumber,and they're gonna be the new kitchen cabinets for the wife.
    yeah, it a messy place, but it was a garage first to keep/work on cars/mowers,etc. One day I decided I wanted to try my hand at building furniture. I need a bigger shop, in reality, but that same reality dictates a cost of many,many thousands of dollars that I can't see(or justify) going into debt for this late in the game(I'm retiring in 3 yrs). now also understand, that I DO park the wifes' car in there, and THAT'S a tighter squeeze than she likes!!!!
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

Meh. I can still see the floor. Maybe a little busy, but not cramped. You've got a nice setup...most of the major tool groups are pretty well represented. (I'm guessing the lathe was just being camera shy.)

I see we both have the same tastes in tablesaws, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

my little shop isn't cramped at all. with no walls, its easy to expand the shop. the only problem is when someone tests the overhead sprinkler system for 2-3 days, that cuts down on the woodworking...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

you need to seriously reorganize things. First thing is to take all the boxes or containers all over the place, free up every sq inch of floor space, thats essential.
    You have tons of wall space, everything and anything that doesnt have to be near or on the floor, or table must go up on a shelf.I stopped tacking up nails to hang a hose or something. I hang all my hoses in one spot, all my blades in one spot. I utilize every inch, floor, walls, ceilings, above my head, whereever its free space, I use.
    You should move your table saw to the front of the garage, free up the middle of the garage for work area, and put that woodworking table that lookslike your using for outfeed either on wheels, or against a wall.
    Move the planer same area as jointer, since they mostely get used together, not on each end of shop, and allow wall space to push them back against wall when not in use, since again, you dont use them every day.
    Mosty saws and shapers, and building room.
    You have alot of mobility, I see alot on wheels.
    You should sit down and carefully figure out which machines you use most of the time, which you use only now and then, and which you use rarely.
    All have to on wheels, or at least put the well used ones against the walls, and put the smaller ones on wheels so you can push them to a spot in front of another machine youre not useing that day, or week.
    If you move your woodworking table against the wall, build another one a few inches shorter, get rid of the saw horses holding things, and put a rolling work table under the permament work table. It will give you plenty of table space, and you can still store tools and things under it.
    Utilize every inch, even ceiling space. If youre back is ok, and you can deal with a step stool, put up a steel rack off the ceiling to hold tons of lumber when not in use. Lumber doesnt have to be anywhere in the way. I have a smaller garage then you, and I have 800+bf of lumber in there, plus plenty of jigs, sheet goods, etc.
    Im not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to help.
    I cant believe how much more freedom and space I have since I started organizing things. Im a far way away, still havent touched my cabinets or rearranged hardware cabinets, but I know IM going to have tons of room.
    Things like house painting supplies, which you probably have laying around in a few boxes, dont need to be, you use them very infrequenlty. Up high on a shelf. Anything you use less than once a month, high on a high shelf. Line the walls with shelves. Its a small investment, but adds tons of space.
    If you keep you jointer up against the wall, put in some folding 16 inch brackets and yo ucan put up a 20 inch shelf as a work area for whatever. Add counter space.The jointer will sit unused under it until you need it.
    You have alot of room in there, you have to figure out where it is.
    Just trying to help mr. Edwards, I think you have a grand shop, got everything you need, just need to park it all a bit more organized.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-28-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Nice shop & great tools.
    Allens post has me heading down to the basement and planning my reorganization
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Another good one for small shop is a drop down work table like a hide a bed. Hinge it to the wall with folding legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Another good one for small shop is a drop down work table like a hide a bed. Hinge it to the wall with folding legs.
    Great idea !!
    My basement has a low ceiling and duct work making working on a tall piece difficult. I could hinge a work table to the concrete wall making it a foot or so lower than my fixed workbenches. It would make finishing easier as well.
    Thanks Allen and Dave for the good ideas.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    you need to seriously reorganize things. First thing is to take all the boxes or containers all over the place, free up every sq inch of floor space, thats essential.
    You have tons of wall space, everything and anything that doesnt have to be near or on the floor, or table must go up on a shelf.I stopped tacking up nails to hang a hose or something. I hang all my hoses in one spot, all my blades in one spot. I utilize every inch, floor, walls, ceilings, above my head, whereever its free space, I use.
    You should move your table saw to the front of the garage, free up the middle of the garage for work area, and put that woodworking table that lookslike your using for outfeed either on wheels, or against a wall.
    Move the planer same area as jointer, since they mostely get used together, not on each end of shop, and allow wall space to push them back against wall when not in use, since again, you dont use them every day.
    Mosty saws and shapers, and building room.
    You have alot of mobility, I see alot on wheels.
    You should sit down and carefully figure out which machines you use most of the time, which you use only now and then, and which you use rarely.
    All have to on wheels, or at least put the well used ones against the walls, and put the smaller ones on wheels so you can push them to a spot in front of another machine youre not useing that day, or week.
    If you move your woodworking table against the wall, build another one a few inches shorter, get rid of the saw horses holding things, and put a rolling work table under the permament work table. It will give you plenty of table space, and you can still store tools and things under it.
    Utilize every inch, even ceiling space. If youre back is ok, and you can deal with a step stool, put up a steel rack off the ceiling to hold tons of lumber when not in use. Lumber doesnt have to be anywhere in the way. I have a smaller garage then you, and I have 800+bf of lumber in there, plus plenty of jigs, sheet goods, etc.
    Im not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to help.
    I cant believe how much more freedom and space I have since I started organizing things. Im a far way away, still havent touched my cabinets or rearranged hardware cabinets, but I know IM going to have tons of room.
    Things like house painting supplies, which you probably have laying around in a few boxes, dont need to be, you use them very infrequenlty. Up high on a shelf. Anything you use less than once a month, high on a high shelf. Line the walls with shelves. Its a small investment, but adds tons of space.
    If you keep you jointer up against the wall, put in some folding 16 inch brackets and yo ucan put up a 20 inch shelf as a work area for whatever. Add counter space.The jointer will sit unused under it until you need it.
    You have alot of room in there, you have to figure out where it is.
    Just trying to help mr. Edwards, I think you have a grand shop, got everything you need, just need to park it all a bit more organized.
    you're right, but where do I park her car? remember, I still have to put her car in there,somewhere, which means moving saw/other stuff about every day!!! those boxes are FULL of items like smaller machines/hardware/accessories/etc.. I use the heater on the end wall in the winter, so I can't place anything compustable near there, including cabinets..it's an open flame unit. all of my finishes and the like are kept in the house, so they won't freeze. with the overhead door, it eliminates the cabinets on nearly 1/2 of each side wall,as the tracks are only 12" from the wall,or so...I ahve same items that COULD be tossed, but those mostly were handed down from my Dad, and even tho they aren't used, they're worth more than all the tools combined. the old 2x6 workbench was built for car repair work, and I just never changed it over...that was a mistake, but I saw no reason to waste a good bench..now it's full, top and bottom, with things I use alot(except for the Butternut boards.. I gaotta get around to making that cutting board). I have an older..much older... Delta 16" jig saw that I don't use, but where to put it? again, it was a gift from my dad...and it's to handed down to my grandson. I totally agree that a re-org would help,butahving to put a vehicle in there eliminate a LOT of options...I really don't wann grag that jointer in/out everytime I wanna use it.. tis a HEAVY bugger,and is located so I can joint boards w/o raising the door(in the winter) up to about 5' in length. now I COULD lose the 48" belt sander, as I hardly use it, but it comes in handy when I DO need it...
    the only non-woodworking items are in the metal cab, and I gots ta keep my vehicles/mowers maintenance items somewhere(cold temps don't bother these items)...
    what you see is what happens when you try to have a complete workshop, combined with a car garage...and sometimes, when I look at all the tools I have to move out/put back, it makes me not wanna do any work....sometimes.
    Last edited by James Edwards; 08-28-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by James Edwards View Post
    now also understand, that I DO park the wifes' car in there, and THAT'S a tighter squeeze than she likes!!!!
    I've been told by a few here that Cars do not belong in the shop.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    absolutely, but to use one in my garage, you'd have to move a tool or two to set it up...then THEY are in your way!!!
    but drop downs are a great idea!!!!