Thread: Made a nice find today

Made a nice find today

I found a nice Fillister plane today made by T.Tileston of Boston on Front Street stamped into the toe. $45.00 It's in great shape no cracks or checks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filister plane.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-31-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Cute! So what are you waiting for? Go and hone it to the best of your ability, this tool has been missing some action for a quite a while!!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Nice plane Bart.
    The old woodies always catch my eye. I haven't tried one yet, but think i'll try making one or two sometime soon. I look forward to learning to fettle them.
    paulh

Real nice.
    Paul Revere, although known as a silversmith, used to make planes. Maybe you found an original...cha-ching
    Faith, Hope & Charity

How do you make that thing SPIN, Bart.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    How do you make that thing SPIN, Bart.

Bruce
    T.Tileston of Boston on Front Street removed what wasn't needed and I have something beautiful. Nature did the hard part.

I have been looking for the electric cord or starting rope. Do you have it?

I need to sharpen it. I just sharpened 11 chisels on my Work-sharp the other day took about 40 minutes.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-31-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I thought it might be part of a POLE LATHE - no 'lectricity - jest foot power.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Real nice.
    Paul Revere, although known as a silversmith, used to make planes. Maybe you found an original...cha-ching
    I didn't know that.

Paul Revere has an interesting history if you follow it long enough. Some good...some...well where I live anyway where the rotting hulks of our first naval battle resides at low tide...all attributable to his blunders...not so good. Still an interesting history.

Regardless, cha-ching would be right. With the brass fence, its conceivable that his foundry cast the metal part. I don't think foundries were too popular in that era.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"