Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Block

Knife Block

Here is a knife block that I made, it was a short afternoon project. It is made of "reclaimed" wood (not sure of exact species) from a 1000 gal wooden water tank and walnut. I think it turned out well and now I don't have to wince as I reach in the silverware drawer to get something since all the sharp knifes are in the block.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1018.jpg   DSCF1019.jpg   DSCF1020.jpg  

Now that is one sweet knife block!! I assume steak type knives on the front, was this designed for knives where the dark wood and light wood meet on the sides? Or are those holes designed into the connection system? Very nice.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Now that is one sweet knife block!! I assume steak type knives on the front, was this designed for knives where the dark wood and light wood meet on the sides? Or are those holes designed into the connection system? Very nice.
    The slots in the left and right walnut wings are for steak knives, the big horizontal slots in the center section are for chefs knives and there are also 2 bigger holes at the bottom for scissors. The smaller vertical slots in the lower center section are for parring knives. All of the slots are essentially routered dados or half cuts with the table saw that line up when glued up.

That looks superb, Dave. I can see all sorts of cool possible variations a person could do with the idea, too.

In our house, there are "her" knives and "my" knives. Hers (two little cheap paring knives) stay loose in a drawer, and pose no danger of cutting you. Mine (the good stuff) are in racks in a separate drawer or on magnetic wall racks, and she doesn't touch them. (I'm the cook in the family, and she has no desire to learn how to use a sharp knife. I keep trying to tell her the dull knives are more dangerous, but she's a woman...what do I know?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks fine. Nice idea all the extra slots for steak and paring knives.

very very nice, my collection of nice knives has outgrown my small block. This give me some ideas.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Knife Block

Very nice! I really like the two woods.

I know this comment is not really related to your post, but your block and Vaughn's comment about sharp knifes drought back memories of my dear mother in her early stages of Alzheimer.

We had her living with us prior to having to put her into a nursing home. I had several very expensive kitchen knives given to me by my son, a chef, that I had sent to a knife maker in Denver to sharpen. Two days after receiving them back my wife had complained that her favorite would not cut a tomato.

My mother had taken them outside and scraped the cutting edge on the corner of the cement patio because she felt they were to sharp and was afraid that someone would cut themselves.

Jiggs Elphison

I am thinking about making some more knife blocks and selling them to help pay for some tools. How much would you pay for one of these?

$50 maybe
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OakKnifeBlock17Slot.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	36205$39.95 at Crate & Barrel. That one store 17 knives.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward