Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guest room floor....

Guest room floor....

Well, the "Pink Room" has been finished since last December. It's time to return to the guest bedroom that has been done, all except the closet and the flooring. Still needs the ceiling fan replaced too. LOML and I looked at flooring a couple weeks ago. Still torn between tile and laminate for this room. I'm leaning toward laminate. This is the room that my computer has been in.
    So yesterday we started taking things out. Seems like this room had everything except a bed! A wide, but shallow, 2 drawer filing cabinet. A cedar chest. 3 small chest if drawers. A roll around toy box that is 2 X 4 that my Dad made us. (he called it a treasure chest.) A 6 1/2' tall multipurpose cabinet. A 2 drawer metal filing cabinet. A closet full of Christmas stuff. A sewing cabinet. And of course my computer desk. All of that is now dispursed around the house, making all the other rooms cluttered. I was able to make an electrical box opposite where my computer was, and move the cat5e cable over to the Master bedroom so I can have my computer back up. (It's getting error codes now on start up. That will be fun to deal with.) The closet is emptied. The dead refrigerator that was in the utility room is now in the garage for disposal, and I still need to move the tall multipurpose chest to the utility room. Then I get to start ripping out carpet. OH JOY!!!
    This should go much quicker than the Pink Room since the paint is all done, except for the closet.
    Any one have any recommendations for laminate? I found a Bamboo I like if we can get it in a darker stain. The top wood layer is almost 1/8" thick! All the others seem to be paper thin. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Sounds good Jim but... no pics didn't happen
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jim,
    When we built this house we had em put laminate flooring in all of the rooms except the Bed rooms. It been over two years and looks as good today as the day we moved in. You can see it in this thread in post # 92. We had tile in California and the grout was a reat Pain to keep clean.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Sounds good Jim but... no pics didn't happen
    True, too true.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

You really want to see pictures of an empty room??? Man, you guys are hard up!!!! Must have really been a slow weekend!!!
    If you remember the pink carpet in the "Pink Room", this is the baby blue version of the same thing.

Ok, here goes...The first picture is standing in the closet, looking to the northeast.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2327.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	36211 Picture 2 is at the northeast corner looking at the closet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2328.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	36210 Does this suffice?
    The tall multipurpose cabinet ended up having to be taken out through the front window. Sure don't remember getting it in that way, but there was probably a lot less furniture that is now in the way of going through the hall.
    Ok, now where is my carpet knife??? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Are you talking lam wood floor? If so Bellawood makes some great stuff. Goes in reall east too. Just did a 3/8 solid wood floor, which is considerd laminate.

Yes, it would be laminate. The bamboo sample we have is by Schon. It is 9/16" thick, with the bamboo layer almost...well, it was by me so I measured it...exactly 1/8" thick. There were some laminates at Lumber Liquidators that were about 1/32" thick, or so, on the finish layer, but most were literally paper thin. Haven't really looked anywhere else. Did glance at some at a couple salvage places that same day, but they were junk. The Bella is going to be out of our price range. Actually, this bamboo is twice what we want to spend. It would be close to a grand for a bedroom! OUCH! So we'll see. There is texture and paint all over this floor, just like the pink room. But I don't see any stain. There is a "Y" shaped crack in the foundation that would require some isolation membrane if we tile. LOML would say tile for sure, execept that I would need to scarify the floor like I did in the PR. Man, that was a mess! I wish I could start at that room, and tile the entry and then back this direction, and I'd say tile for sure. But to start back here, I could never match the tiles up, and I think it would look weird to have the same tile have cut joints...would really look amateurish. But we'll see. I do have a couple boxes of the tile left, so it may still win out price wise.
    Oh, and for you guys and your picture requirements:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2329.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	36227 Hope you all had a great weekend. I need to eat and get cleaned up before I just fall into bed! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

my daughter was gonna use some bamboo, but ended up going with some cork which is real nice stuff too..the bamboo they had was chocolate milk colored but they couldnt get it in time so they chose cork instead.. i gave the bamboo some real live abuse tests and its tuff stuff
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Funny you mention the cork Larry. We have a sample of that too, only it is pretty light. Got it thinking of the kitchen. I'm afraid the dogs would do a number on it though. I scratched it pretty hard with my finger nail, and we weren't impressed. Picked it up today and it took me a few minutes to find where I scratched it before. Seemed to be self healing. But the dogs would do a lot more damage to it than I did, so I'm thinking it's out. Good to hear about the bamboo. I've heard it's tough stuff. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-08-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

the cork that my daughter got is pretty tuff stuff to..i will try to get the brand and type of it for yu if yu like..they have it in there bedroom...will get yu a emailaddress if yu like and yu can speeak with them they done alot of reaserch to get what they have
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!