Guest room floor....

Jim O'Dell

Well, the "Pink Room" has been finished since last December. It's time to return to the guest bedroom that has been done, all except the closet and the flooring. Still needs the ceiling fan replaced too. LOML and I looked at flooring a couple weeks ago. Still torn between tile and laminate for this room. I'm leaning toward laminate. This is the room that my computer has been in.
So yesterday we started taking things out. Seems like this room had everything except a bed! A wide, but shallow, 2 drawer filing cabinet. A cedar chest. 3 small chest if drawers. A roll around toy box that is 2 X 4 that my Dad made us. (he called it a treasure chest.:huh:) A 6 1/2' tall multipurpose cabinet. A 2 drawer metal filing cabinet. A closet full of Christmas stuff. A sewing cabinet. And of course my computer desk. All of that is now dispursed around the house, making all the other rooms cluttered.:rolleyes: I was able to make an electrical box opposite where my computer was, and move the cat5e cable over to the Master bedroom so I can have my computer back up. (It's getting error codes now on start up. That will be fun to deal with.) The closet is emptied. The dead refrigerator that was in the utility room is now in the garage for disposal, and I still need to move the tall multipurpose chest to the utility room. Then I get to start ripping out carpet. OH JOY!!!
This should go much quicker than the Pink Room since the paint is all done, except for the closet.
Any one have any recommendations for laminate? I found a Bamboo I like if we can get it in a darker stain. The top wood layer is almost 1/8" thick! All the others seem to be paper thin. Thanks! Jim.

Jim,
When we built this house we had em put laminate flooring in all of the rooms except the Bed rooms. It been over two years and looks as good today as the day we moved in. You can see it in this thread in post # 92. We had tile in California and the grout was a reat Pain to keep clean.

You really want to see pictures of an empty room??? Man, you guys are hard up!!!! Must have really been a slow weekend!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
If you remember the pink carpet in the "Pink Room", this is the baby blue version of the same thing.

Ok, here goes...The first picture is standing in the closet, looking to the northeast.dscn2327.jpg Picture 2 is at the northeast corner looking at the closet.DSCN2328.jpg Does this suffice? :D:thumb:
The tall multipurpose cabinet ended up having to be taken out through the front window. :huh: Sure don't remember getting it in that way, but there was probably a lot less furniture that is now in the way of going through the hall.
Ok, now where is my carpet knife??? Jim.

Are you talking lam wood floor? If so Bellawood makes some great stuff. Goes in reall east too. Just did a 3/8 solid wood floor, which is considerd laminate.

Yes, it would be laminate. The bamboo sample we have is by Schon. It is 9/16" thick, with the bamboo layer almost...well, it was by me so I measured it...exactly 1/8" thick. There were some laminates at Lumber Liquidators that were about 1/32" thick, or so, on the finish layer, but most were literally paper thin. Haven't really looked anywhere else. Did glance at some at a couple salvage places that same day, but they were junk. The Bella is going to be out of our price range. Actually, this bamboo is twice what we want to spend. It would be close to a grand for a bedroom! OUCH! So we'll see. There is texture and paint all over this floor, just like the pink room. But I don't see any stain. There is a "Y" shaped crack in the foundation that would require some isolation membrane if we tile. LOML would say tile for sure, execept that I would need to scarify the floor like I did in the PR. Man, that was a mess! I wish I could start at that room, and tile the entry and then back this direction, and I'd say tile for sure. But to start back here, I could never match the tiles up, and I think it would look weird to have the same tile have cut joints...would really look amateurish. But we'll see. I do have a couple boxes of the tile left, so it may still win out price wise.
Oh, and for you guys and your picture requirements:DSCN2329.jpg Hope you all had a great weekend. I need to eat and get cleaned up before I just fall into bed! Jim.

my daughter was gonna use some bamboo, but ended up going with some cork which is real nice stuff too..the bamboo they had was chocolate milk colored but they couldnt get it in time so they chose cork instead.. i gave the bamboo some real live abuse tests and its tuff stuff:thumb::thumb:

Funny you mention the cork Larry. We have a sample of that too, only it is pretty light. Got it thinking of the kitchen. I'm afraid the dogs would do a number on it though. I scratched it pretty hard with my finger nail, and we weren't impressed. Picked it up today and it took me a few minutes to find where I scratched it before. Seemed to be self healing. But the dogs would do a lot more damage to it than I did, so I'm thinking it's out. Good to hear about the bamboo. I've heard it's tough stuff. Jim.

Last edited:
the cork that my daughter got is pretty tuff stuff to..i will try to get the brand and type of it for yu if yu like..they have it in there bedroom...will get yu a emailaddress if yu like and yu can speeak with them they done alot of reaserch to get what they have

With the amount of stuff that was in that room, I'm kinda surprised you were worried about how the floor looked. You couldn't see it with all that stuff on it anyway. :p

My sister and her husband have been real happy with the cork they put in their living room, but their dogs are little yapper dogs, not good, manly dogs like setters. :D I suspect you might be right about your dogs tearing it up eventually.

With the amount of stuff that was in that room, I'm kinda surprised you were worried about how the floor looked. You couldn't see it with all that stuff on it anyway. :p SNIP

You're right about that. And to think TLOML wants a bed in there!!:rofl:
Actually, 4 of the pieces will go back in there. Or 3 of them and a new computer desk for me, haven't gotten to the negotiations for that yet, but my computer is taking up the spot where she wants the chair she's refinishing to be for reading at night. So I might have a chance at this, but it won't be because I won...Oh Nooooo. It will be because she got what she wanted!!!:thumb::wave: Jim.

Man, I'm beat. Somebody please assure me that Home Depot is closed tomorrow!!!!! Oh well....
Started out about 9:30 this morning scraping all the texture and paint off the floor so that the thinset will stick. Yes, we have decided to do tile after all. At least if we can get the same tile we used in the now Music Studio Waiting Lounge, or Lounge for short. (Formerly known as the Pink Room. :thumb:) LOML called Friday afternoon about the tile. Girl thought that this color had been discontinued, but would call and call us back. Not sure if she called, or my wife called back, but by that time, Marazzi was closed, and wasn't going to be open Saturday either. Don't blame them. (See my new post I'll make in a few minutes in the off topic forum on the tile.)
Back to the scraping...or actually grinding. I used the diamond grinding cup from the start this time. Probably should have gotten as much of the paint and texture off with the scraper as I could before, cause it kept gumming up the grinding surfaces. (LOML just came in and asked if I took pictures, cause the post wouldn't count if I didn't!! She's learning!:D:D) I ground away until 2:00. Finally got finished. Took a bath, ate lunch and watched the end of the O's slaughtering the Rangers. Then vacuumed up the dust. Then vacuumed the dust off the walls. Then noticed the closet still had the popcorn ceiling treatment. :doh: Guess we didn't unload the closet when we did the walls a few years back. About 5:30 I scraped the closet ceiling, then at 6 put a coat of Kilz on it. I'll texture in the morning, do another coat of Kilz, then it will be ready to paint with the rest of the closet. So I'm wasted. Guess we'll see if I can get out of bed in the morning.
Oh, the pictures. Same 2 angles. DSCN2330.jpgDSCN2331.jpg
Hope you all are having a great Holiday!! Jim.

Well, I didn't get as far as I thought I would. Glenna said she thought this would be where I'd be. After the run out to get the tile, and stops to the borgs to price stuff on the way, I got home a few minutes before 12:00. I unloaded everything and got 2 pieces of the crack isolation membrane cut and 1 laid before it was time for lunch. After that I got to looking and the door jambs and trim were sitting on the concrete. That won't work...tile needs to go underneath to look best. Last time I used my 4 1/2" grinder, but that burned the wood more than cut it, and really smoked. Not good. So I went to Harbor Freight and got one of the little multifunction tools. With coupon, 29.95. Half price. Man, is that thing LOUD!!! But it works great. Finished the remainder of the crack isolation about 6:00. Now it's ready to start tiling. I had hoped to get a row or two done today, so that I could finish tomorrow, and grout on Sunday. Something tells me the grout is going to wait a week.
We were able to get the tile for 1.99 a sq ft. 1.00 off. And we got all they had, so enough to do the short hall and half bath by Glenna's studio, and to make a border around the entry to tie it all together if we find something that works well with this color.
The red carpet looking stuff is the crack isolation membrane. After 10 months, the other room has held up well, so I guess it works.DSCN2332.jpgDSCN2333.jpg Same 2 views again. Jim.

You're right about that Al. I quit and got things cleaned up by 8:00. Took a bath and I'm waiting for supper. Didn't get finished. Heck, I didn't even get all the tile down. The walls in this room aren't as square at the 'Pink Room'. Two walls are skewed to the point that I'm having to put some very narrow pieces in. But they are at the back of the room, so no one will ever see it under the furniture. :p I might work on it some during the week, but probably not. I'll finish laying the tile on Sat. Then may wait a week to do the grout, just to make sure everything has time to cure.
These 2 pictures DSCN2334.jpgDSCN2335.jpg are where I finished last night. And these show what I got done today. DSCN2336.jpgDSCN2337.jpg I was moving along pretty good until I got to the thin pieces to cut. I thought I would finish until that cropped up. Plus, the ones I cut last night for the closet had to be cut again, and 3 remade...twice.:eek::eek: I'm so tired, I'm not even sure I'm hungary. I wonder if the guys at work will notice that I'm asleep at my computer??? Jim.

Jim,

Looking good. What brand membrane did you use? What did you put down to install it?

I wish they would of had those off-brand multi-purpose tools when I did mine all that was out was the Fein Multimaster. It was more then my wife would let me spend. :) I went a rented one of these.

Crain Super Saw

It worked great but i could see lots of serious injuries with people using them. :eek:

Keep up the good work. Maybe Glenna will give you a break before you have to move onto the hall. :D

Randy

Randy, I have no idea what brand it is. It's peel and stick. Must be the same sticky stuff as the ice dam underlayment for roofs. If it touches itself, it's done! It comes in rolls 3' wide. The red part is a ribbed fabric. You have to pay attention to your tiles going across the membrane as there is a slight thickness to it. 10th of an inch, maybe a little less. It is what the guys at the place we bought the tile from use. On the other room, I used some of this and a small roll of a grey rubber peel and stick that I found in the road one day. Brand new roll. Had to have fallen of off someone's truck. I tried to get more of it, but had trouble getting it. At the other house, I had a pail of blue stuff that you painted on, put a fabric mesh into it across the crack, then painted over it with the same stuff. It turned black when it was dry. (May have the color sequence backwards) Never had any trouble with it either. This mat says to have 1.5' on either side of the crack. Thus the weird pattern before I started laying tile. I estimated I needed 37 linear feet (111 sq ft) of it. I ended up with about one sq feet, all in little pieces, by the time I got through. Guess I did good. Especially when it's 2 bucks a sq ft!!
Still need to decide what rooms I'm going to use the remaining tile in. I have a feeling it will require pulling up linoleum to put the tile down. :( I soooo don't look forward to that. :rolleyes: Jim.