Metal shop

Al killian

Anyone intrested pics of a metal shop with old iron? The guy teaching me metal spinning has some amazing machines and if intrest then I will post them even if they are not all ww machines.

Hi Al,

I too, would be interested in the metal spinning. When I got my Delta Double Duty lathe it came with a compound slide which is used in metal turning. Evidently the previous user of this setup used it primarily for metal turning. Even the pulley system is setup for slow turning.

By the way, I have a lot of metal rod that was his stock and in it are several octagonal bars of brass. Could you ask your friend what that would have been used for?

OK here are few pics for you. Mind you this basment is only 20x20 at best and there are several large lathe shoe horned in here.
061.jpg

069.jpg

059.jpg

And here is the link to see the rest of them. There a total of 8 lathe,3bs,1 mortiser,3 surface grinders,ts and other odd ball items. Will get pics of the other shops later.Oh and the pics start as you walk in and turn rigth and go around the shop that way.

Yep it is used to cut blanks for spinng. They usally cutt around 100 blanks each time they set it up. Wait till you see is "LITTLE" lathe out in the barn. It can only handle a 36"wx 5' long chunk of metal.:eek:

Oh man a gold mine! The little green spinning lathe is a Karle - I've got one just like it! The Haag spinning lathe is really cool!:D I'd like to see that baby running. I see he's also got a bunch of steel mandrels for spinning. (versus wood) Did he do a lot of production work? Neat shop - and the lamps - wow. I don't know if I'd ever want to leave.

Al, please let this gentleman know he has at least one more admirer of his shop!:D

Thanks for posting the pics. I'd also be interested in what you do with your metal spinning.

Wes

PS The circle shear is worth it's weight in gold - wish I had one half the size!

Wes, hes perffer metal over wood as it holds up better. Yes he has somewhere around 15 different things that he makes. Most of are lamps. He however is unable to do it anymore due to a accident. He his working on teaching me the skills. He wants me to take over his metal bussiness. I already have a few guys lined up to do this part time.:thumb:. This is one of the reasons for the move to a larger shop.