Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 265WT - Anybody got one?

Garmin 265WT - Anybody got one?

Pursuant to my heading off on a 7,500 mile road trip I thought I might give some thought to a GPS device to help guide me in some of the areas I'm less familiar with. Also, as I get to areas I've never been through, I thought it might be nice to have one should I choose to depart from the planned route.

So, question. Who has experience with these devices and what recommendations - brand, model, or features - would you say are best buys/ must haves?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 09-05-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Title change
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I bought a Garmin nuvi 260 a few months ago and it does everything I wanted it to do. My decision was based on price/value -- it was on sale at the time -- paid about $140 for it against a list of about $400. I Google a destination, then send the data to it via a USB cable. I haven't been disappointed in any way.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I have the Garmine 2620. LOML got it for me several years ago and it is fantastic. The prices on them has dropped since mine came out. I think she paid over a grand for mine. I prefer the Garmine to the megelon. I used one of those in a rental car and the garmine was quite a bit better IMHO.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I bought my mom a magellion (sp?) and it is very easy to use and very accurate. If my mom can use, since she can hardly turn a computer on , it must be easy. $199.00 for it.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 and like Bill, it does everything I want it to do. Set up a destination, tell it "Go" and it figures out how to get you there. You can set it to avoid highways if you want and it's really pretty neat. I don't have the "live traffic" capabilities but I'm never really in traffic anyway.

It's a handy little device. Try'n get the map upgrades if you can - updating your maps on some of these can be a little expensive (though I haven't needed to in a couple years, now)
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I love my TomTom. My son got one after I got mine (and he road along with me on a vacation trip to Canada and all about. My s-i-l got one after he went with me to Florida and other side trips. My friends got one as well (3 at least) after going on various fishing trips and adventure trips with mine. One has a Denali with a built in GPS but liked the TomTom better. My sister did as well after using it to find a long lost family cemetary using the coordinates and my TomTom.

Is it better? I don't know, but I do know it is very good... IMHO

I got my wife a Garmin (don't recall the model) a couple years ago and she's been real happy with it. It has a more up-to-date database than the nav system in my Lexus, so we take hers with us when we travel. It's especaially handy for finding motels, food and gas stations. About a year after she got the Garmin, she bought a Tom Tom that had a few extra features, but she ended up returning it because she liked the simpler interface on the Garmin.

Garmin is good, Magellen is good, Tom Tom is good, and I think any of the other major player will have good units. Bottom line...after you get one, you'll wonder how you got along without one all these years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Got a 260W for my b-day before taking a trip the long way across California. I held off registering it thinking I may like another model and would trade up. This one is fine. Other features seem to be things like storing routes, address books and such. Unimportant to me in my use.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

another vote for garmin, rennie i have used to it the last two years to get me from one spot to the other and even found chuck ellis and chuck thiots from address ..go to best buy if yu have one and play with the choices.. i was in canada last week and we used a nuvi from garmine to get there and back it has some more features than mine but nothing that yu cant live without.. remeber the KISS threory
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Garmin Nuvi 350 here. Had it three years. Won't leave home without it!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!