Stabilizer

Bill McQueen

I'm looking at the Carter stabilizer for a band saw. Any pros or cons on this unit?

It's just a bearing with a slot cut in the middle, you take your upper and lower bearing off. I watched a video and I liked it better than their expensive double bearing set up. 159.99 vs 69.00 for the stabilizer.

Thanks Bill

There was a discussion of them a few weeks back. Search the archives.

During that discussion, I mentioned that mine had been laying in a drawer, unused, for many years. That pretty much says it all...

That stabilizer is for very narrow blades - 1/8 to 3/16, maybe 1/4, but it is not for use on wider blades. For the bigger blades you need the $160 set. Or the OEM guides. For narrow blades consider blocks of hardwood stored in mineral oil, in which you "bury" the thin blade.

For narrow blades consider blocks of hardwood stored in mineral oil, in which you "bury" the thin blade.

Some people use Lignum Vitae inserts for that as well as it is an oily wood already, years ago it was used as bearing rings on ship's propellers shafts.

If you have/can get some scraps they'll work fine.

Sorry for being the town crier. Good advice. I looked under the search engine before I asked the question I must have spelled something wrong.

The soaked wood sounds good, I'm using oak now but not soaked. I'm going to look up that Lignum Vitae inserts.

Thanks Bill :D