Some poeple

Don Baer

Staff member
My shop is always open to visitors and a lot of people in the area know I do woodworking. I feel it's good for business and don't mind the occasonal interuption.
Today I had a guy stop by and was watching me put finish on a piece I had made. I was using a WIPE ON POLY. He made a remark that that was not the proper finish for wood. I asked him whaqt he used and he said "oil" I use tung oil. I knoded and kept on working but he was real insistant that I was doing it wrong so I asked him to show me what he used that was supeior to what I was using. After if Sam Maloof used wipe on poly it should be good enough for me. He said he would go home and get a can of what he used.
He came back with can of Minwax Tung oil finish.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that it contained no Tung oil and was nothing more then a wipe on poly with a color added..;)

Grew up racing trotting ponies, pulling in firewood with ponies, farming with horses, barrel racing, roping, riding. Had a student's parents that had a team for about three years try to tell me how to farm my farm with horses, how to adjust my harness, this and that continuous. We had a common friend (they didn't know I knew him) and they started telling him how they were helping me learn to use my team, funny, they quit coming over after he told them my life experiences with farming and with horses and the combination!! :rofl::rofl: I love suggestions, but like your feller, some won't listen long enough to learn something. I guess that is what happens when you know it all!

I attended the University of Illinois in 1958. I had been pretty good runner on my high school track team and had hopes of making the UI team. One day, I was on the track and noticed a guy doing practice pole vaults. I was not a pole vaulter but had seen plenty of jumps.
He took a break and came over my way. We chatted for a while then I started giving him some tips on how to improve his jumps. After a while he smiled politely and left. Someone nearby had overheard the conversation and came over to tell me that the jumper was Don Laz, an Olympic Silver Medalist and, at the time, considered the second best vaulter in the world. :eek:

I attended the University of Illinois in 1958. :eek:

Hey Frank, all this time I thought you were a Razorback, not an Illini..:thumb::thumb: LOML was born in Urbana, her father and grandfather are alumni as well as her younger daughter. Oldest grandaughter will be applying this spring after she finishes her second year at Parkland JR. Knew there was something about you I liked....:D:D:thumb: