Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table

Central PA

Here are some pics of my dining table that I built about 3 years ago there are some pics of it before it was finished and some of it after it was done and in the house. It is made from white oak from my inlaws land and walnut from a tree off my grandparents land.

Great work Dave! I like the bread board ends, and no-nonsense design, looks "built to last". Looks like it will seat quite a few, what are the dimensions?

ABQ NM
    Good stuff, Dave. It has a nice and simple, yet stout look.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great job and I too like the somplistic desgn. Also gladf the picutres showed up...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Plainwell, Michigan
    Sweet I was hoping you would show the table when I saw it under your knife block. Nice table and with the family history of the wood, it makes it a very special table for you also. Well done

Amherst, New Hampshire
    very nice, the top is beautiful.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Central PA
    It is about 45" x 92", or it was 45", it shrunk about 3/4" in width over about 2 months after it was in the house. It also warped a little. If I remember right the wood was slightly on the moist side when I started working on it. I guess that is a lesson learned. I have been messing with wood since I was a kid, I am 26 so I guess not that long. The table was my first "real" project so I didn't know what to expect. I have made lots of stuff from plywood and hardwood trim from Lowes so shrinkage wasn't a problem. I am thinking that it warped (cupped from side to side) because I didn't plane the back very much and so the top let off more moisture and shrunk more. My plan is to make a some rails that would run down the length of each side and have a board with a router attached that spans the rails. Then I just slide the router along the rails and side to side and the top will be nice and flat. I was just going to hand plane it but I had so much problem with tear out when I did it the first time due to the crazy grain that this sounds like a good idea to me.

Constantine, MI
    Nice looking table - Bravo!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    That's a beauty. Very nice work.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great table, simple and well done, congratulations.!!
    A question if I may, the brown central stripe was intentional from the very beginning or it had to do with the material you had available? I think it turned ou great!
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...