Thread: Need a new motor

Need a new motor

Looking for a replacement motor for my Delta Double Duty lathe recently acquired.

I am thinking 3/4 hp TEFC 1 phase 1750RPM 110v reversible and would really prefer dual shaft. Biggest concern is price.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

I don't know about the reversible part.
    But, take an afternoon and prowl the flea markets and antique shops in your area. I see motors all the time for little money, like $5.00.
    Look in yellow pages for an electric motor repair shop. They usually have quite a few unclaimed rebuilts selling very reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Look in yellow pages for an electric motor repair shop. They usually have quite a few unclaimed rebuilts selling very reasonably.
    I agree with Frank, the ones here in town had both just cleaned out (thrown away) there unclaimed/abandoned motors the weekend before I stopped in ....I ended up getting one from Surplus Center when I drove thru Lincoln, NE, but they do ship.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Hi Frank,

There is one motor repair place in Palm Beach county and when I visited them with my old motor to see about repairing it they refused because of it's age and condition. When I asked about rebuilt motors they said they don't have a call for something that small and when I asked about new they offered a Dayton 1/2hp single shaft for $208 + tax.

As to flea markets, there is one in the county that has one fellow that has a few wood working tools, nobody that has motors (this is based upon about six trips over the last several months). In the next county north there is a flea market that in the winter time has a fellow that sells a lot of rusty junk. There is nobody in the summer with tools, motors or anything close.

This is why I am asking for help here. I have done my leg work but I live in the land of the rich, non hobbyist. There have been several cabinet shops go out of business, but their stuff is all Felder and other high end names.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Bill, another option might be to look on Craigslist....not sure what would be close to you so I'll just link to all of FL

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/fl
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks Jeff,

Been looking at Carigslist now for several things. This is where I got the lathe.

Only recent motor I have seen was great price, great hp but three phase. I understand I could get a phase converter but don't have access to 220 in the workshop location.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Only recent motor I have seen was great price, great hp but three phase.
    Bill,

If the motor is 1hp or less you can use a 110v input, 220v 3ph output VFD

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.30/.f

A 3ph motor would give you variable speed and reversing.

Check out scrap yards, the ones that deal with industrial scrap, not the auto dismantlers, for cheap 3ph motors.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Hi Frank,

There is one motor repair place in Palm Beach county and when I visited them with my old motor to see about repairing it they refused because of it's age and condition. When I asked about rebuilt motors they said they don't have a call for something that small and when I asked about new they offered a Dayton 1/2hp single shaft for $208 + tax.

As to flea markets, there is one in the county that has one fellow that has a few wood working tools, nobody that has motors (this is based upon about six trips over the last several months). In the next county north there is a flea market that in the winter time has a fellow that sells a lot of rusty junk. There is nobody in the summer with tools, motors or anything close.

This is why I am asking for help here. I have done my leg work but I live in the land of the rich, non hobbyist. There have been several cabinet shops go out of business, but their stuff is all Felder and other high end names.
    The retired, old guy, with our local motor repair shop wouldn't have turned it down. That's what he likes, the old motors and a challenge.

Bill,
    I've picked up several motors on ebay. A few shipped and a few picked up. Another option to consider is DC with a controller. The motors tend to go cheap similar to 3PH due to people being unfamiliar with them.

Just food for thought.

Wes