Thread: Rigid Jointer

Rigid Jointer

So I keep noticing that the local Home Depot has the Rigid Jointer model JP0610 on clearance for $329. It has been like that for awhile. Really tempting everytime I see it. But I don't really have the spare cash to just go on impulse right now. It seems like it would be a nice starter jointer. Just thought I'd point it out to everyone incase you were looking for one check out your local HD to see if it's on clearance Anyone have this jointer already? Is it a decent machine for the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Westley Rosenbaum View Post
    So I keep noticing that the local Home Depot has the Rigid Jointer model JP0610 on clearance for $329. It has been like that for awhile. Really tempting everytime I see it. But I don't really have the spare cash to just go on impulse right now. It seems like it would be a nice starter jointer. Just thought I'd point it out to everyone incase you were looking for one check out your local HD to see if it's on clearance Anyone have this jointer already? Is it a decent machine for the price?
    Westley, my buddy has kept his Rigid jointer in my shop for the last three years (I am the only one that has used it), but I have used it quite a bit and for a 6" jointer, I have no complaints about it at all. Even the dust/chip chute works well when a shop vac is hooked to it.

Awesome Norman, sounds good thanks for sharing. Maybe it will still be on clearance by the time santa goes shopping? I wonder if Rigid is discontinuing them? ...or making a new model?

I got mine on clearance about 10 years ago... must be some wiggle room in the profit, since this is one that often goes on sale. It is an excellent 6 inch jointer.

However, I don't recommend a 6 inch jointer for a furniture maker... high grade hardwood generally has to finish to 6 inches wide to get the good grade, which means the rough boards must be over 6 inches wide, and you should flatten the face before trimming the sides. I often thought the 8 inch would be adequate, but now have a 16 inch and wish for 20 inches. (For example, I recently got 3 boards 15+ inches wide in a shipment of lumber). I also do much of the jointing after gluing up panels, and doors are often up to 24 inches wide which have a 20 inch floating panel.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com