Rigid Jointer

So I keep noticing that the local Home Depot has the Rigid Jointer model JP0610 on clearance for $329. It has been like that for awhile. Really tempting everytime I see it. But I don't really have the spare cash to just go on impulse right now. It seems like it would be a nice starter jointer. Just thought I'd point it out to everyone incase you were looking for one check out your local HD to see if it's on clearance :wave: Anyone have this jointer already? Is it a decent machine for the price?

So I keep noticing that the local Home Depot has the Rigid Jointer model JP0610 on clearance for $329. It has been like that for awhile. Really tempting everytime I see it. But I don't really have the spare cash to just go on impulse right now. It seems like it would be a nice starter jointer. Just thought I'd point it out to everyone incase you were looking for one check out your local HD to see if it's on clearance :wave: Anyone have this jointer already? Is it a decent machine for the price?

Westley, my buddy has kept his Rigid jointer in my shop for the last three years (I am the only one that has used it),:rolleyes::D but I have used it quite a bit and for a 6" jointer, I have no complaints about it at all. Even the dust/chip chute works well when a shop vac is hooked to it.

Awesome Norman, sounds good thanks for sharing. Maybe it will still be on clearance by the time santa goes shopping? :) I wonder if Rigid is discontinuing them? ...or making a new model?

I got mine on clearance about 10 years ago... must be some wiggle room in the profit, since this is one that often goes on sale. It is an excellent 6 inch jointer.

However, I don't recommend a 6 inch jointer for a furniture maker... high grade hardwood generally has to finish to 6 inches wide to get the good grade, which means the rough boards must be over 6 inches wide, and you should flatten the face before trimming the sides. I often thought the 8 inch would be adequate, but now have a 16 inch and wish for 20 inches. (For example, I recently got 3 boards 15+ inches wide in a shipment of lumber). I also do much of the jointing after gluing up panels, and doors are often up to 24 inches wide which have a 20 inch floating panel.