PSI TSGUARD

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Penn State Industries has a few scratch-and-dent TSGUARD packages available. I spoke with a sales guy and he said the items are just fine. A couple of the gorillas who work for them tore some of the packaging. They've been repackaged in great condition.

I've been adding to my DC system and one of the final stages was to install some type of overhead tablesaw guard and dust collection. After hearing of the price drop on the PSI unit, I decided to grab one.

:thumb:

I've had one that has stayed with me through a couple of saws. Still going strong. Here's a pic from back in 2005 or so when it was on my old C-man.

Fence Extn 1.jpg

And one from last year sometime,

22124-(3).jpg

don't have one of the current build where I am right now. I don't remember what I payed but it has been worth every cent. Definitely works better with an adequate DC. I really like the way it swings out of the way so easily and I get double duty out of the overarm and the feeder hose and blast gates; I rigged the hood hose as a slip fit and swing it over to my router table fence when that is in use.

overarm-RT-feed.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Exaktor which PSI is a knock off of. I tried several things even putting a small light inside the hood so I could see. Its a great dust collector but not worth doodilly when it comes to seeing what the saw is doing. Also unless you rip narrow strips on the left side of the blade its difficult to work with even then it's iffy.

Here is what I did, not DC but if the blade is set right with a 0-clearance insert I don't get much dust.

This is my shop built version of the Uniguard.

The arms are a little bigger & I used the Exaktor mechanism to hang it from.

Attachments

• TS Guard 5.jpg
    TS Guard 5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 34
  • TS guard4.jpg
    TS guard4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 30
  • TS guard 3.jpg
    TS guard 3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 29
  • TS guard 2.jpg
    TS guard 2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
  • TS guard 1.jpg
    TS guard 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Uniguard.jpg
    Uniguard.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I use these extensively they act as a guard & a positive push & hold down much better then an over head guard system.

Even with the guard you can't use push & hold down systems like this because the guard is in the way.

Attachments

• 100_1053.JPG
    100_1053.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1052.JPG
    100_1052.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 10
Glenn,

Nice-looking setup you've got there! I've planned all along to run my DC/Guard from the ceiling and have provisioned my DC system accordingly. Here's what I have so far. The TSGUARD will attach to the ceiling to the left of the light fixture.

Attachments

• TS_DC01.jpg
    TS_DC01.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 32
  • TS_DC02.jpg
    TS_DC02.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 27
Bart,

Good point about the small parts, etc. I'm mainly concerned about dust pickup from cutting MDF and plywood panels, etc. For smaller work, here's what I have now.

Attachments

• TS_Safety01.jpg
    TS_Safety01.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 25
Bill,
I have the same guard ceiling mounted. It has proven to be a very sturdy installation over the past few years. The overhead dust collection is a help, but be forewarned, if you are cutting just a bit off the edge of the stock, the dust will shoot out the side. I've thought about the brush like edging they use on CNC equipment to help, but it doesn't happen that often to bother.

Good luck with the installation. I think you'll like the unit - I do.

Wes

Wes,

Thanks for your input. I saw a couple of examples of overhead guard installations that included brushes on each side of the hood. I'll keep that in mind if I have an issue.

On your installation, did you use the support rods and turnbuckles to steady the mast tubes?

Yes, the rods/turnbuckles worked out well and really make the installation rigid. At my former employers, they used aircraft cable and turnbuckles going out to 4 points. The rods do simplify things because they only run in two directions - fewer obstacles.:rolleyes:

I should point out my shop is in the basement and the ceiling height is only 7'+. It looks like you'll have a bit more drop which could make things a bit more wobbly since the rods are only so long.

Wes

... I should point out my shop is in the basement and the ceiling height is only 7'+. It looks like you'll have a bit more drop which could make things a bit more wobbly since the rods are only so long.

Wes
My ceiling is about 8 1/2 feet overall and it's 71" from the tablesaw top to the ceiling. I've thought about adding a support collar part way down the tubes and adding some bracing. The first thing is to get it mounted in the right location, then add support as necessary.