Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Plumbing Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417

    Plumbing Questions

    I have to move the vertical pipes shown back about 1" due to the new shower valve being larger than the old one.

    I am going to cut the horizontal pipes that you can see running along the floor and move the entire vertical section back, which includes the pipe running up to the shower head. Then splice the horizontal pipes back together.

    My question is about the Water. I am going to shut off the water where it comes into the house in the basement, then I am going to turn on the kitchen sink facuet (on the first floor) and drain the water. So...when I cut the pipes there shouldn't be much water that comes out....right???

    What about the hot water side?

    Thanks for any help, wont be doing this until Friday.

    Rise above the rest

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    ...My question is about the Water. I am going to shut off the water where it comes into the house in the basement, then I am going to turn on the kitchen sink facuet (on the first floor) and drain the water. So...when I cut the pipes there shouldn't be much water that comes out....
    Make sure you open the shower valves so air can get into the system as the water runs out.

    The hot water shouldn't be a problem. Open the hot kitchen and shower faucets, too. If you're gonna have the water shut off for very long, you might wanna turn the water heater down/off, but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    ... but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
    Ahh, the mythical 15 minute job. I use to believe there was just a thing, but after all these years I guess I have just lost faith.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    B4 U sweat on the new couplings stuff sum bread into the pipes. Believe it or not but this will prevent water from comming towards the heat when you heat the pipes to solder them back together. After you are done the break will desolve in the water. A little trick my dad taught me.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    The hot water shouldn't be a problem. Open the hot kitchen and shower faucets, too. If you're gonna have the water shut off for very long, you might wanna turn the water heater down/off, but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
    Water heater should be full anyway... so I wouldn't think it necessary to turn it off.

    I just did the first bit of remodel plumbing this morning. I turned the water off at the main (90 minute/extra trip to HomeDepot job picking out all the baby tree branches that were wrapped around the cutoff. AFTER I found the thing with three inches of dirt on top of it. ). Ran water out of the hose and commenced to opening things up indoors. I think I got two drops of water.

    I'm gonna turn it back on here in a bit and make sure I got no leaks. I needed a rest in case I have to work on it for two more hours.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    Water heater should be full anyway... so I wouldn't think it necessary to turn it off...
    Depends...

    If the heater kicks on while the water is turned off, the expanding water has no place to go but up the (now opened up) pipes. The water will probably run out of the still open downstairs faucet, but...better safe than sorry. DAMHIKT

    BTW, Don's 'bread trick' works quite well. I first saw it used about fifty years ago, and have used it myself on many occasions. Note: It'll also work with PVC plastic pipe, and hold the water back until the glue dries.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 09-02-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    6,098
    Your burning daylight, don't rest to long, rest after you know no leaks!!!!
    Jon

    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

    Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Make sure you open the shower valves so air can get into the system as the water runs out.

    The hot water shouldn't be a problem. Open the hot kitchen and shower faucets, too. If you're gonna have the water shut off for very long, you might wanna turn the water heater down/off, but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
    Thanks about the tip of opening the shower valve, probably would of forget about doing that to let air in the system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Depends...

    If the heater kicks on while the water is turned off, the expanding water has no place to go but up the (now opened up) pipes. The water will probably run out of the still open downstairs faucet, but...better safe than sorry. DAMHIKT

    BTW, Don's 'bread trick' works quite well. I first saw it used about fifty years ago, and have used it myself on many occasions. Note: It'll also work with PVC plastic pipe, and hold the water back until the glue dries.
    I will leave the faucets open (glad you mentioned it, probably would of turned them back off) and hope that it only makes to to the first level, I could always open up the Bathtub and sink faucets in the upstairs bath as well couldn't I.
    Rise above the rest

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Your burning daylight, don't rest to long, rest after you know no leaks!!!!
    Yeah well... I do have one slow drip.

    A little do-over tomorrow.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    417
    Thanks for all your help guys.

    Took 2 hours to cut and splice horizontals back together, cut out old valve and insert new valve, and run the line up to the shower head about 10" higher. Not bad for first plumbing job.

    Tested and so far no leaks, but I will test again the during the week to make sure no leaks pop up and then hopefully start putting on the rock next Friday. (hope you want some more questions )

    thanks again.
    Rise above the rest

Similar Threads

  1. Oh a plumbing I will go.....
    By Drew Watson in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 02:43 AM
  2. plumbing question
    By ken werner in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
  3. Plumbing help needed
    By Matt Dunlap in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
  4. plumbing for air
    By Kevin Brown in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-31-2007, 02:34 AM
  5. Plumbing problem(s)
    By Ned Bulken in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •