Plumbing Questions

Aaron Beaver

I have to move the vertical pipes shown back about 1" due to the new shower valve being larger than the old one.

I am going to cut the horizontal pipes that you can see running along the floor and move the entire vertical section back, which includes the pipe running up to the shower head. Then splice the horizontal pipes back together.

My question is about the Water. I am going to shut off the water where it comes into the house in the basement, then I am going to turn on the kitchen sink facuet (on the first floor) and drain the water. So...when I cut the pipes there shouldn't be much water that comes out....right???

What about the hot water side?

Thanks for any help, wont be doing this until Friday.

Bathroom021.jpg

...My question is about the Water. I am going to shut off the water where it comes into the house in the basement, then I am going to turn on the kitchen sink facuet (on the first floor) and drain the water. So...when I cut the pipes there shouldn't be much water that comes out....

Make sure you open the shower valves so air can get into the system as the water runs out.

The hot water shouldn't be a problem. Open the hot kitchen and shower faucets, too. If you're gonna have the water shut off for very long, you might wanna turn the water heater down/off, but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.

B4 U sweat on the new couplings stuff sum bread into the pipes. Believe it or not but this will prevent water from comming towards the heat when you heat the pipes to solder them back together. After you are done the break will desolve in the water. A little trick my dad taught me.:thumb::thumb:

The hot water shouldn't be a problem. Open the hot kitchen and shower faucets, too. If you're gonna have the water shut off for very long, you might wanna turn the water heater down/off, but this looks like a fifteen minute job if you've got everything ready, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
Water heater should be full anyway... so I wouldn't think it necessary to turn it off.

I just did the first bit of remodel plumbing this morning. I turned the water off at the main (90 minute/extra trip to HomeDepot job picking out all the baby tree branches that were wrapped around the cutoff. AFTER I found the thing with three inches of dirt on top of it. :bang: ). Ran water out of the hose and commenced to opening things up indoors. I think I got two drops of water. :thumb:

I'm gonna turn it back on here in a bit and make sure I got no leaks. :eek: I needed a rest in case I have to work on it for two more hours.

Water heater should be full anyway... so I wouldn't think it necessary to turn it off...

Depends...

If the heater kicks on while the water is turned off, the expanding water has no place to go but up the (now opened up) pipes. The water will probably run out of the still open downstairs faucet, but...better safe than sorry. DAMHIKT

BTW, Don's 'bread trick' works quite well. I first saw it used about fifty years ago, and have used it myself on many occasions. Note: It'll also work with PVC plastic pipe, and hold the water back until the glue dries.

Last edited:
Make sure you open the shower valves so air can get into the system as the water runs out.

Thanks about the tip of opening the shower valve, probably would of forget about doing that to let air in the system.

Depends...

If the heater kicks on while the water is turned off, the expanding water has no place to go but up the (now opened up) pipes. The water will probably run out of the still open downstairs faucet, but...better safe than sorry. DAMHIKT

BTW, Don's 'bread trick' works quite well. I first saw it used about fifty years ago, and have used it myself on many occasions. Note: It'll also work with PVC plastic pipe, and hold the water back until the glue dries.

I will leave the faucets open (glad you mentioned it, probably would of turned them back off) and hope that it only makes to to the first level, I could always open up the Bathtub and sink faucets in the upstairs bath as well couldn't I.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Took 2 hours to cut and splice horizontals back together, cut out old valve and insert new valve, and run the line up to the shower head about 10" higher. Not bad for first plumbing job.

Tested and so far no leaks, but I will test again the during the week to make sure no leaks pop up and then hopefully start putting on the rock next Friday. (hope you want some more questions :))

thanks again.