Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could there be an electric car in your future ?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Could there be an electric car in your future ?

According to this article you may be able to get an all electric car for less then $30,000 that will have a 300 mile range. I could go for that.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Not for me, never.

Yeah, but can it hual 200 bft of lumber? It will a cold day I give up my gas guzzling 8cylinder truck for electric. They are nice, but for what I do they would never last, plus all the hills out here kill 4 bangers let alone electric.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Not for me, never.
    Even if it was a seeing eye car?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Not for me, never.

I'm curious Allen what makes you say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Even if it was a seeing eye car?
    Now that's just cruel.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I have some serious doubts about a decent sized car that can get 300 miles on a single charge and can sell for $30,000 - and go, say, 70 MPH on the highway.

Batteries for cars have a number of issues. One is capacity. Let's assume 0.25 kWh per mile. A 300 mile range car will require a 75 kWh battery. By comparison, the Chevrolet Volt car is expected to have a battery of approximately 8.8 kWh (usable), with an estimated cost of $6K (expected to fall over time). A Prius has a less than 2 kWh battery.

Another problem is recharge time. Let's say you have a 75 kWh battery and you ran it almost all the way down. If you try to use 120 volt service at 15 amps, it will take you over 41 hours to recharge the battery (assuming 100% efficiency in the recharge). If you use 220 volt service at 20 amps, it will take you over 17 hours (again at 100% efficiency). So you wouldn't be able to recharge those batteries overnight, or you'd only be able to discharge them partially - but then you won't get 300 miles from them.

Regarding weight of the battery - the Chevrolet Volt battery (Li ion) is reported to be 375 pounds for 8.8 kWh. Scaling that up to 75 kWh gives a battery weight of about 3,100 pounds. Some cars don't weigh that much. And the Volt battery is supposed to be "state-of-the-art".

The much better approach is the plug in hybrid. Using the Volt's 8.8 kWh battery as an example, you can recharge it fully in less than 5 hours at 120 volts, 15 amps. You may only get 35 (to 40) miles on a charge, but you have a generator on board that allows you to go any distance at the penalty of using gasoline. But for most city driving, you'll use very little gasoline.

There's a lot of hype on all electric cars right now.

Mike

[You can go further on a smaller battery if you make the car smaller. But there's probably a limit to how small of a car people will accept. And the weight of the battery will limit the efficiency. Every time the car starts off, it has to accelerate the total weight of the car, and no matter what kind of regenerative braking you use, you only get a portion of the energy back. But if you want to do some calculations, assume smaller amounts of energy per mile and see what you get. Try 0.2 kWh per mile, then 0.15 kWh. You still wind up with a big battery for 300 miles, and long charging times.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-03-2009 at 03:16 AM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Now that's just cruel.
    Rennie they now have cars that will sense if your to close to another car & apply the brakes. I was thinking of it as a reality not a pun. it I was thinking of it as a pun I would have added a smiley .
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Rennie they now have cars that will sense if your to close to another car & apply the brakes. I was thinking of it as a reality not a pun. it I was thinking of it as a pun I would have added a smiley .
    Point taken.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    Yeah, but can it hual 200 bft of lumber? It will a cold day I give up my gas guzzling 8cylinder truck for electric. They are nice, but for what I do they would never last, plus all the hills out here kill 4 bangers let alone electric.
    Not for me but LOML could use it. When I buy my next "gas guzzling ..... Truck i'll probubly go for the Chevrolet Silverado Hybred.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward