Outdoor bench of ash

ken werner

I made a bench some time ago out of a spruce log, with poplar legs. After a few years with the bench continuously outdoors, I found myself on my uh, bottom, when the legs rotted out.

So yesterday, I began a replacement, out of an ash slab, with ash legs. I worked up quite a sweat hollowing and smoothing a concave top. I used a wooden scrub plane, scorps and my new LV pull shave [stealth gloat.] The only problem with the slab was a split on one end. An opportunity to try out a dovetail or butterfly key.

In the past, I've shaped the legs with a drawknife, but I was tired after shaping the top from rough to a mild concave surface, so I took the easier path and turned them. Unlike my son, I am a lousy turner. But at least the legs should be functional. The tenons are of different lengths because the slab has different thicknesses at the four places where the legs will go.

The rough surface in the first image is the bottom, but shows what kind of surface I started with. Not finished yet, but I should get the holes drilled for the legs in the next few days.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 48
  • top end.jpg
    top end.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 52
  • key.jpg
    key.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 53
  • legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 47
Thanks Bill, IIRC, I ripped the log in half with my chainsaw, for Ben to use for natural edge bowls. He got the other half. I split the bottom of the slab off.

Looking good so far, Ken. :thumb: I'm guessing you cut the butterfly key by hand, and not with a router and template. Am I correct?

Vaughn, I cut out the key on my bandsaw, but I did the mortise for it with chisels. I must admit that I hogged out some of the waste with a hand held electric drill and a forstner bit. Bob, this is my first butterfly, it was easier than I expected.

Not quite 100% Neander.

nice work ken,:thumb::thumb: i would suggest yu treat the legs with something to help prevent rot.. ash goes quick outside where it can get moister readily like on the legs the seat area will be longer lived because it can dry out. nice key work.. got some of those coming up in my future as well.

Got er done

I put the legs in, wedged M&T. Last image shows where it'll spend its days.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 20
  • tenons.jpg
    tenons.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 19
  • bench side by pond.jpg
    bench side by pond.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 24