My First Lathe

My Jet JWL-1220VS came yesterday at 08:55 AM EDT.
About 1 hour setup time.

The lathe stand is perfect for the tool and rock solid. The stand is 36 x 20 x 36 and made of 2x4s, 2x3s, and a top of ¾” plywood. I used 3 ½” and 4” deck screws to put it together.

I had a 2 x 2 x 12 blank cut from an old surplus piece of wood. Using a roughing gouge, I seemed to get the basics of rounding the blank down quickly. Being a total turning novice, I was happy to see that I could do a simple operation without much trouble.

Thank you to all the members who gave me advice on the stand.

Congratulations!! No feeling like it in woodworking when you can make a round piece of wood out of a square piece of wood!!:thumb::thumb: That is what my woods students are doing now, love seeing the expressions on their faces when it "clicks"! Post some pictures of your lathe and the "bonker" you made.

Congratulations!! No feeling like it in woodworking when you can make a round piece of wood out of a square piece of wood!!:thumb::thumb: That is what my woods students are doing now, love seeing the expressions on their faces when it "clicks"! Post some pictures of your lathe and the "bonker" you made.
It's wierd trees grow round, lumber mills make em sruare and Turner make em round again.

Congrats on the lathe, but no pictures it didn't happen.

Thank you, all!

I tend to research things to death, so I looked at every lathe I could find on the market before making a choice.

Now to teach myself to turn. I've got The Lathe Book by Ernie Conover and Learn to Turn by Barry Gross which I bought just to learn the details and accessories of the lathe.

I'm going to get the complete Ruffin collection of books and DVDs.

Joseph,
Congrats on the new toy.
I would suggest both Bill Grumbine's & Jimmy Clews DVD's they both give yopu extreme close ups on how the tool should be used. I have the DVD's myself & I encorrage any new turner to get them.

Congrats Joseph but ..well ...did it really happen. I see the picture police have you in their sights. Now ya need a camera to go with that lathe or how else we gonna see what you turn.:D:thumb:

hey Joseph,did you ever get the extension bed for it? I got the same lathe and it seems Jet cant supply the bed extension, been waiting over a month, and Im told it may be another month. Im curious if when you bought it you purchased the extension and they had it in stock.

No, I didn't get the extention because I don't have that kind of space right now.

I've noticed that there are delays on the bed. Probably just shipping problems across the Pacific.

I've gotten maple, walnut, oak, and ash blanks from Got Wood and Craft Supplies USA.

My first project is a table lamp. The pedestal is from a 3x3x18 maple blank. The blank turned really well. I'll make a base from a 6x3 blank.

Are you going to the LI Woodworking Show (Old Bethpage Village, 11/14-15/09)?

joe, I told you I have all the maple and walnut and ash, ash? I have bout as much ash as 10 400 lb women! Dont waste you dough on that stuff, you can come over any night or sunday.
The beds are delayed, maybe not till mid nov or later.

I work on Saturdays, very hard for me to get off, and I have a continuing ed course on the 15th, at 7:30 am till mid afternoon, and by then Ill be done for the day.

Shoot me a call, really, Im tossing alot of my scrap bin, I just dont have room to keep all the cutoffs and tiny pieces.