Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Peace

Keeping Peace

One of the things my wife has wanted for a long time is pull-out storage (drawers) in the lower cabinets in our kitchen. I've completed most of them -- 13 so far with four to go. The photos below give you an idea of the result.

I used 1/2" birch plywood trimmed with red oak. All drawers (except one) are 5" tall including the oak trim. The exception is one that I made for things like baking sheets, etc., that is the full height of the cabinet interior. The fronts and sides are joined with half-blind dovetails. Backs and sides are joined with lock rabbets.

Bottoms are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" plywood, depending on the type of stuff going in them. In each case, I cut the typical 1/4" dado a tad over 1/4" from the bottom edge. All but the 1/4" ply was rabbeted to fit the dado.

I get to take the weekend off from this project, but I'm sure I'll be kept busy!

To say the least, LOML is very happy with her drawers now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KitDwrs01s.jpg   KitDwrs02s.jpg   KitDwrs03s.jpg  
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Nicely done! This is something that has been on my "to-do" list for too long.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice work Bill! Could you post a pic of the glides you used? I'd be interested in doing a couple of these for my MIL's kitchen.

Thanks
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Nice work Bill! Could you post a pic of the glides you used? I'd be interested in doing a couple of these for my MIL's kitchen.

Thanks
    Thanks, Darren.

I used Euro slides -- typical for kitchen and bathroom drawers. They aren't full extension, of course, but it beats crawling around on the floor looking for something in the back of the cabinet.

The slides I got for this project came from a supplier I've used in Florida. I've also purchased both Euro and ball-bearing slides at a good price from Woodworker.com.
    Bill Arnold

Ah...simple enough...I guess I'm curious how you attached the supports they are on within the cabinets? I see a glimpse of them from the second pic.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    ... To say the least, LOML is very happy with her drawers now!
    She has good reason to be happy. Great job, Bill. We have similar slide-outs in our kitchen, and they sure are handy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Ah...simple enough...I guess I'm curious how you attached the supports they are on within the cabinets? I see a glimpse of them from the second pic.
    OK, here ya go! Photos of the slide mounts I used on the cabinets. I used a piece of clear pine cut to 1.5" by .75" by 22" long. I added pieces of 1/2" ply to space the assembly up to clear the face frame.

The shelf in these cabinets is fixed in position. In this case, I used a piece of pine 1.5" by .75" by 22" long with a narrow piece of 3/4" pine butted to it and attached with glue and brads.

In the locations where two drawers are adjacent, I simply attached two slide mounts to common bases.

All assemblies are attached to the cabinet with #8 by 1.25" square-drive screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KdSlideMnt1.jpg   KdSlideMnt2.jpg   KdSlideMnt3.jpg   KdSlideMnt4.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 09-04-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Bill Arnold

I hope my wife doesn't see this, I'm busy enough
    Very nice.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nice looking drawers you there.

Our "System Kitchen" came standard like that, it sure is nice!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward