Holdfast Vacuum Su=ystem

:huh:Anyone using the Holdfast Vacuum system that Craft Supplies sells. What your comments on it. What type of compressor is needed also. Does the compressor have to continuously be running to maintain pressure to generate vaccum with the generator?:huh:

Holdfast Vacuum System

I have the holdfast from Hartville tools and I run it off a lttle 30 gal comp.Mine will kick on quite a bit,but if you have a comp with a larger air capacity it wouldn't run as much.

I have the holdfast system with the C-man 26 gal and it does kick on/off. I watched Dave Hout do a demo with it with a pancake compressor. I couldn't pull the bowl off. So far I am pleased with the one I have.

I have used them on a friends lathe, wonderful thing. It is on my list of things to put on my lathe. Highly recomend them.

Hold-Fast vacuum system

:( Due to space limitations, whats the smallest compressor it will run on?. Bernie ,you saw D. Hout run it on a pancake comp., what was the air capacity of the tank,did it run continuously?:huh:

Holdfast Vac Chuck

John,I ran mine on a little Campbell Hausfeld compressor which only has a two gal tank.The only thing with that one is the comp.kicks on quite a bit,but it does hold the piece.

John that has been awhile and can't remember the brand. He told me you need about 2 to 2.5 cfm at 55 to 65 psi. I also remember it was a twin tank 4 gal now that I think about it.

:rolleyes: I have a small comp. with a hotdog tank, I think it is 2 gals. how much PSI does it do and CFM?:huh:

John, I think you'll be OK with your little compressor. It may run quite a bit while you're using the vacuum generator, but it should still have enough CFM to do te job.

Just for comparison, I looked up a cheap 1 HP 3 gallon rig on the Sears website, and it still puts out between 2.5 and 3.5 CFM. The tank size has little to do with the equation, except with a bigger tank, it'll take a bit longer before the compressor starts running. Once it's running, though, it doesn't matter if the tank is 1 gallon or 100 gallons. It's all about the CFM. ;)

My Nova DVR suggests using a shop vac. I put on a connector so that I could use either the vac or my dedicated vacuum pump (not a venturi vacuum system). With larger bowls, the shop vac works fine. With very small pieces, not even a dedicated vacuum pump can hold it. Much of it depends on the area that the atmospheric pressure is pushing on, against the vacuum on the faceplate.