No Mandrel Pen Turning

Hi,

I was reading the tutorial about no mandrel pen turning and I can't work out how to align the bushings and blank between centres. Maybe I'm completely thick and I've missed something really basic but I went and checked my pen mill and the diameter of the area it cleans up is greater than the diameter of a bushing so I'm wondering how I ensure all three pieces are aligned perfectly before cutting.

(I bet I'm going to be slapping my head when I read the first reply)

Brendan

Edit: I read the article again and saw that this method works for pens over 7mm. I have never turned anything other than 7mm so could I ask if the bushings for larger pens fit into the ends of the brass tubes please?

Last edited:
Brendan (good name BTW, my grandsons) head slapping is a prerequisite to becoming a penturner. You are off to a good start.
Yes, bushings fit into the tubes. That is what they are for, to align one end with the other and to give you a guide for diameter of the pen.
Don't worry that the mill is bigger than the finished pen, as long as it squares you don't care if you turn away squared waste.
Just put the bushings in the tubes, mount up on the lathe with the dead center at the headstock and the live center at the tail end.
Turn.
Enjoy.
That's an oversimplification, there are steps you will pick up as you go along.
When you are ready to step up from 7mm pens, I suggest you try the Artists Sketch pencil. It is an easy and enjoyable project. You can use your first one in the shop. Then for a nice pen, I like the Jr. Gentleman.

Thank you Frank, for the answer and for the advice. I have only made a few 7mm pens and never looked at other kits because I don't want to ruin something more expensive until I feel confident with the 7mm kits. The main issue for me is matching the ends of the blanks with the fittings to get a seamless fit but I'm getting there - I've even worked out which end of the chisel goes against the work.

Brendan

Slim line pens (7mm tubes) can be turned without using bushings, as can all other pens. Use a set of calipers to measure the matching ends of your kits and turn down to those measurements.

I only use bushings to get close and then I finish with the calipers. I haven't used a mandrel for ages.

Don't think too hard on it, just try it and watch what happens.

There is no rule that says you must turn both halves at the same time!

Slim line pens (7mm tubes) can be turned without using bushings, as can all other pens. Use a set of calipers to measure the matching ends of your kits and turn down to those measurements.

I only use bushings to get close and then I finish with the calipers. I haven't used a mandrel for ages.

Don't think too hard on it, just try it and watch what happens.

There is no rule that says you must turn both halves at the same time!

Yes, Mack is right. Bushings are a guide. Some folks, like me, need the visual help more than others. I'll turn down almost to the bushing, remove then take off the rest.

You might take a look at this place. He has tools to turn between centers.

penturnersproducts.com

He has delrin and steel bushings using 60* livecenter and 60* drive center.

Thanks Mack, Bernie and Frank for the extra info. I started using callipers to size the blanks and that has helped a lot and I'm finding myself trusting the bearings less and less.

Brendan