Metal Blast Gate Positioner

Rethinking my approach...

Bill1, Bill2, your arguments/logic are well-placed! I'm rethinking my "automation" approach. I already have 3-way switches for the DC and they're pretty convenient - within two steps of every tool in the shop. With the auto-closers on the blast gates, I've paid attention to how I use the DC over the past couple of days and auto-on isn't much of an improvement over what I have now. I do tend to leave it running between operations and with the auto-closers, I just push the button on the way from one tool to another and open the gate on the tool I'm using. I'm thinking a better approach will be to make it easier to open the blast gates that are "hiding" under or behind some of my tools. I use a heavy string under my downdraft table to open its gate and that works well. Thanks for the insight!

... I'm thinking a better approach will be to make it easier to open the blast gates that are "hiding" under or behind some of my tools. I use a heavy string under my downdraft table to open its gate and that works well. Thanks for the insight!
Gary,

Here's what I did on a couple of blast gates that would be difficult to operate. The first two photos are the "remote" for my tablesaw; the third is for the gate on my overhead blade guard/DC.

Attachments

• DCS_09.jpg
    DCS_09.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DCS_10.jpg
    DCS_10.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 27
  • TSG_10.jpg
    TSG_10.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 23
This thread has taken on a life of its own. I just wanted to show off my vastly superior, highly complex, patent pending 'hard-to-get-at' blast gate operation device.

Operator control area of the device showing the built in ferric adhesion storage mechanism:

Blast Gate Magic Wand mag.jpg

The gate-to-device 'coupling area' of the device:

Blast Gate Magic Wand notch.jpg

The device in position for opening or closing operations:

Blast Gate Magic Wand oper position.jpg

The device opening a gate:

Blast Gate Magic Wand opening.jpg

The device closing a gate:

Blast Gate Magic Wand closing.jpg

The device stored while using the ferric adhesion mechanism:

Blast Gate Magic Wand stored.jpg

... I just wanted to show off my vastly superior, highly complex, patent pending 'hard-to-get-at' blast gate operation device. ...
I am SO ashamed of myself! Here I thought my "manual remotely-operated air flow control control system" was simplicity defined! And now you show me up with an incredibly efficient device. I bow to your superior ability! :thumb:

I'm not worthy!
I'm not worthy!
I'm not worthy!

:D

Of course you Shop Giants could emulate me in my tiny dust Bowl and have a shop so small that you can stand in one spot reach the DC when you need it, from almost any place in the shop. No need for sticks or remotes.

Too bad...

Billy Mays isn't around anymore. He could sell millions of those on TV! "But wait, send in $19.95 twice and we'll send you not one, but two of these amazing hard-to-get-at-blast-gate-positioners!" I hope you have these patented or someone's going to steal your plan and then you'll be living in poverty like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Approves:

shamwow_guy.jpg

:p

You could build one of these and you could operate it from 500' away, blindfolded, with one arm behind your back.:D This one I have set up to hook up shop vac hoses

Attachments

• DSCF1099.jpg
    DSCF1099.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 26
Its "electropneumatically actuated". Meaning there is a solenoid valve that is turned on with a switch, the solenoid lets air into the pneumatic cylinder and opens the gate, there is also another switch so when the gate is open it holds the switch closed and turns on the cyclone motor. When the solenoid is turned off the air leaks out of the pneumatic cylinder and a bungee cord pulls the blast gate closed. When the blastgate closes the cyclone motor switch opens and shuts off the cyclone. On some of my machines I have the switch for the machine also operate blastgate. My tablesaw is that way, I flip the switch and the saw comes on the blastgate opens and the cyclone comes on, all from 1 switch. Other machines I have a separate switch for the blastgate so I don't always have to turn on the cyclone, like the mitersaw, it would be hard on the cyclone motor if it was kicking on everytime I cut something on the mitersaw.