Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wormwood Box

Wormwood Box

I had this old piece of walnut kicking around on my shop floor for a couple of months. Was going to just toss it out.....But then I have not turned anthing for a long time,so I went ahead and turned it, I found that it was full of worm holes. Probably should have tossed it out. Or does the worm holes give it Character?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worm wood box.jpg  
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Don't toss out, but you might want to toss the post over to the Lathe Project Showcase.
    Looking good.
    Worms are yur friends.

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Roase View Post
    I had this old piece of walnut kicking around on my shop floor for a couple of months. Was going to just toss it out.....But then I have not turned anthing for a long time,so I went ahead and turned it, I found that it was full of worm holes. Probably should have tossed it out. Or does the worm holes give it Character?
    Hi Ron; I had a closeup look at those wormholes and am left wondering what danger lies in them.

From your avatar it appears you have 4 canine members in your family. I am very much afraid for them as well. But never fear, what is Family for?

I will take that box off your hands. That will take you and your canine friends out of harm's way! Or I will trade you that box for one of my pens.

Go to my profile and click on threads started by me. You may see something you might like!

Oh yeah, nice character in that box.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Im amazed what you guys can do with a lathe.....you are slowly sucking me into this spinny stuff.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

my vote ron is definatly character yu done good on the box! those holes are there so the potpuri smells can drift out threw the room and yet look closed
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looks real nice to me, Ron. I like the wormy wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Don't toss out, but you might want to toss the post over to the Lathe Project Showcase. ...
    You're the one with Mod Power . You can move the thread, but Ron can't. And when you move it, the forum software will automatically add a link to redirect folks from this forum to the new location.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Back when this family ran the sawmill as more of a commercial venture then now, people would often ask for wormy wood. I have used it many times myself, spruce and pine being known for worms.

In your case it came out nice, and I think in the right application like trunks and boxes it can look really good. One of those things where it looks "aged" when it is new.

Isn't it against the woodworker law to throw out wood unless its under 1 inch in size?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looks real nice to me, Ron. I like the wormy wood.

You're the one with Mod Power . You can move the thread, but Ron can't. And when you move it, the forum software will automatically add a link to redirect folks from this forum to the new location.
    I always thought the original poster could move, nebber tried it though. Oh, well, it's at least in lathe land now.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Back when this family ran the sawmill as more of a commercial venture then now, people would often ask for wormy wood. I have used it many times myself, spruce and pine being known for worms.

In your case it came out nice, and I think in the right application like trunks and boxes it can look really good. One of those things where it looks "aged" when it is new.

Isn't it against the woodworker law to throw out wood unless its under 1 inch in size?
    Careful with those one inchers....they are good pen blanks.

Thanks for the reply..did'nt think it was worthy of being in lathe land! Was just a small piece. Maybe I should try some other turnings just to see how they come out now. Mostley self taught. So not up to most other wood turners. But do enjoy it a lot.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!