Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Micro Van Subaru Sambar Dias

New Micro Van Subaru Sambar Dias

Well, we finally got our new micro van..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_van_front.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	36423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_van_back.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	36422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_van_interior.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	36424
    Some shots from Subaru.

Here is the van we actually got......

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	36425
    The color is "Champagne Gold" though it does not look it in that picture

We picked it up around 11:30 AM on Sunday, then we drove out to our friends place on one of the US bases, the Sagami Housing area, that was our shake down run. It ran fine, the Subaru has the motor in the back, so the inside of the van was really quiet, surprisingly so

It is a micro van, I did not much exceed 55 mph (90 kph) which on the expressway is fairly slow, even though the "Speed Limit" is only 80 kph or 100 kph most of the way. This van, because the front wheel is a fair ways back from the front bummer (most of the new micro vans it is almost in the front bumper) has a good turning radius, which is important to me with deliveries. Power steering, power brakes, with ABS, air bags, seatbelts in the front AND back seats, air con etc, it is all good! We got the little cowling things over the tops of the windows, this lets you have the window open an inch or two while driving in the rain, and not get rain in the van, a nice feature. We got the juiced up head lights, not HID, but better than stock, we got a cargo mat inside the back of the van, to keep the mess confined, there is a large roof rack for carrying stuff, etc etc.

The back seats fold right into the floor, making the entire back area completely flat, so I can carry full sheets of (Japanese sized) plywood back there, big bonus to me!

So shots (with inch sized) of the inside....

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van_width_height_sizes.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	36426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van_inside_sizes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	36428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van_width_height_sizes.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	36426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van_inside_long_sizes.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	36429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru_sambar_dias_van_inside_sizes_sofa.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	36427
    .... I know this is no pick up truck, but for where I am in the world, and what I mainly do with it, this is going to be a good van for us.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

It's as if it was customized for your needs! Sounds perfect. The best of three worlds. Family, business, shop. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Looks cool. Is that a stick shift I see?
    Why can't we have stick shifts in our vans.

And is that another roof rack support above the door, that looks out of line with the other supports?

So what happened to the old van?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Congrats on the new van, Stu. Like Jim said, it's well-tailored for your needs. I'm still amazed at how small some of the vehicles in Japan are. Is there a button on it you can push to make it fold up into a suitcase (a la George Jetson)?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Couple times now, I've browsed the forum quickly, and my brain momentarily reads this thread title as Sambar Dies, not Dias...

I bet that name would never make it past marketing in an English-speaking country.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    It's as if it was customized for your needs! Sounds perfect. The best of three worlds. Family, business, shop. Jim.
    Yep, it should be a step up, the old Mitsubishi van was good, well made etc, but it did not have ABS, airbags, or seat belts in the back seats We did not know that about the seat belts, if we did, we would not have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Looks cool. Is that a stick shift I see?
    Why can't we have stick shifts in our vans.
    You only see them in the smaller vans, the micro vans, and from this October, two or three of the makers will stop making manual transmission ones, only automatic transmission vans will be available!

I've driven the micro vans with the 3 and 4 speed automatics, they are totally gutless, and get really poor gas mileage, as owners are constantly mashing the gas pedal to floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    And is that another roof rack support above the door, that looks out of line with the other supports?
    You are correct, the center support has this huge suction cup on the base of it, and it sits on the roof at a point that has a support built into the roof. The rack is only rated for 40 Kg (88 pounds) but I hope to only carry long sticks up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    So what happened to the old van?
    We had it junked, to get in on the Japanese version of "Cash for Clunkers" I'm sure it is on it's way to some other asian country now

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on the new van, Stu. Like Jim said, it's well-tailored for your needs. I'm still amazed at how small some of the vehicles in Japan are. Is there a button on it you can push to make it fold up into a suitcase (a la George Jetson)?
    Boy that button would sure solve the parking problem!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Couple times now, I've browsed the forum quickly, and my brain momentarily reads this thread title as Sambar Dies, not Dias...

I bet that name would never make it past marketing in an English-speaking country.
    Well, I don't know where they come up with the names, trust me, there have been some funny ones in the past.

The thing is, this little van should NOT die, it has a 5 year/100,000 Km warranty, which is considerably more than any other micro van maker here in Japan.
    William Arthur Ward

Congrats on the new van Stu - looks like just the thing to fit your needs.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Ye need to flip yer negatives, it looks like the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    With the front wheels set back like that, I'll betcha there is some built-in front end crash protection that is often missing from vans.
    Looks like the perfect vehicle for your needs. I do believe something like that would find a market here in the U.S.
    Congrats on the new wheels.

Yep, they have crumple zones air bags and full frames. I'd certainly MUCH rather be in a full sized car or truck if I had to be in an accident, but that is the kind of choice that one seldom gets.

We do choose to always wear our seat belts, and we bought a van with ABS and air bags, so we are doing our best to mitigate our risk, while living in the real world.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward