Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actually been out in the shop!

Actually been out in the shop!

While getting some of the things ready for my trip I realized that the camper's pantry - 3 deep but narrow shelves - just was not going to work for a 4 week road trip. Thanks to Bill Arnold for showing me the solution.

Some poplar from the local Borg, some left over 1/4" melamine, and some inexpensive euro slides and I now have nearly twice as much, and more usable, pantry space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	36500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	36501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	36502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	36503
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Wow when I first looked at the pics before enlarging, I thought wood storage Rennie is putting a shop in the camper for the trip then I enlarged, great drawers Rennie Guess I need to look closer a little more Those sure are a great idea,and very functional. I really need to incorporate them in my kitchen redo

Nice upgrade. There are alot of wasted spaces in them campers.

Nice addition Rennie. My parents just bought a new fifth-wheel and Dad has already remodeled it. Removed the stationary steps, changed the rise on them as well as adding storage under each step.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Personally, I think you should tear out all that kitchen stuff and put in a workbench with vise. That way the woodworking would not have to stop, it just moves along with you.

Lookin' good, Rennie!

Incidentally, I completed another part of the installation that includes this drawer for storing slender items on their side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KitDwrs10a.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 09-09-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

So Rennie

How are you locking the shelves in place so they don't bounce against the door & push it open & empty they're contents all over the camper?

Dad had a set of 4 shelves that all pulled out at the same time that could be accessed from both sides & had a rod the slide through from inside the coat closet next door to lock it in place.

Nothing worse then going around a curve or corner & the drawers shoving the door open & coming back to the camper all happy & finding the mess.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-09-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    So Rennie

How are you locking the shelves in place so they don't bounce against the door & push it open & empty they're contents all over the camper?.
    The door has two snug latches that hold it shut. The glides are self closing as well. Because of where the drawers would push against the door I don't anticipate a problem, but I am giving thought to a fail-safe latch just in case. Something sturdy that I can fasten from the outside.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

you could inset a few magnets. Bougth some from woodcraft and they are very strong for there size.

We've dumped the contents of one of our upper cabinets twice. I'm sure one time it happened when I had no choice but to pull the camper over a curb in a tight parking lot (the way you see semi's go over curbs on tight corners.) And it supposedly has a strong latch. In that cabinet, since we are now keeping a toaster oven in there, I added a safety strap from some nylon webbing and one of those buckles used with webbing. I used a couple brass mending plates to fasten the ends. You could do the same there--just run a strap top-bottom in the cabinet.