Actually been out in the shop!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
While getting some of the things ready for my trip I realized that the camper's pantry - 3 deep but narrow shelves - just was not going to work for a 4 week road trip. Thanks to Bill Arnold for showing me the solution. :thumb:

Some poplar from the local Borg, some left over 1/4" melamine, and some inexpensive euro slides and I now have nearly twice as much, and more usable, pantry space.

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

Wow when I first looked at the pics before enlarging, I thought wood storage:dunno: Rennie is putting a shop in the camper for the trip:huh: then I enlarged, great drawers Rennie:thumb: Guess I need to look closer a little more:p Those sure are a great idea,and very functional. I really need to incorporate them in my kitchen redo

Nice addition Rennie. My parents just bought a new fifth-wheel and Dad has already remodeled it. Removed the stationary steps, changed the rise on them as well as adding storage under each step.

Personally, I think you should tear out all that kitchen stuff and put in a workbench with vise. That way the woodworking would not have to stop, it just moves along with you.:D

Lookin' good, Rennie! :thumb:

Incidentally, I completed another part of the installation that includes this drawer for storing slender items on their side.

Attachments

• KitDwrs10a.jpg
    KitDwrs10a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
So Rennie

How are you locking the shelves in place so they don't bounce against the door & push it open & empty they're contents all over the camper?

Dad had a set of 4 shelves that all pulled out at the same time that could be accessed from both sides & had a rod the slide through from inside the coat closet next door to lock it in place.

Nothing worse then going around a curve or corner & the drawers shoving the door open & coming back to the camper all happy & finding the mess.:eek:

Last edited:
So Rennie

How are you locking the shelves in place so they don't bounce against the door & push it open & empty they're contents all over the camper?.:eek:
The door has two snug latches that hold it shut. The glides are self closing as well. Because of where the drawers would push against the door I don't anticipate a problem, but I am giving thought to a fail-safe latch just in case. Something sturdy that I can fasten from the outside.

We've dumped the contents of one of our upper cabinets twice. I'm sure one time it happened when I had no choice but to pull the camper over a curb in a tight parking lot (the way you see semi's go over curbs on tight corners.) And it supposedly has a strong latch. In that cabinet, since we are now keeping a toaster oven in there, I added a safety strap from some nylon webbing and one of those buckles used with webbing. I used a couple brass mending plates to fasten the ends. You could do the same there--just run a strap top-bottom in the cabinet.