Small Box Hinge Fix

glenn bradley

There was some discussion here about the occasional difficulty with really small hinges and the alignment of box lids. I, and others, offered up our methods and I learned a lot. Now being the "giver" that I am, I decided that I would mess up a hinge just so I could show how I fix them when that happens . . . riiiiight.

I use wooden q-tip sticks or their equivalent and a high solids, gap filling glue.

hinge fix 005.jpg

Once dry, nip them off with side cutters and then thank myself, once again, for picking up that butt chisel at the last WWing show.

hinge fix 006.jpg
I use the double sided tape trick again and this time when drilling the holes . . . pay attention, doh! The little yellow piece of cardboard is to hold the hinge leaf up so when I push the properly aligned top onto the tape, it sticks.

hinge fix 008.jpg

You can see that the holes are now in a little different spot. I use a steel screw to pre-thread the holes for the brass screws (the one in the pic is brass plated steel; don't be fooled).

hinge fix 010.jpg

There now, all better. BE maple and lacewood, sand and shellac:

BEmapleShedua 1.jpgBEmapleShedua 2.jpgBEmapleShedua 6.jpgBEmapleShedua 7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Glenn:thumb: I have redone hinges due to miss cues and have sone a bit differently, like sanding down larger dowell to make smaller dowell to fit:p Gee never thought of using a wooden q-tip :doh: I will for now on, that is only if I make a miss que:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl: OH THAT is a nice box!!!