FAIR Enough...

I too think the BS box deserves more than honorable mention. but IMHO the finish was the key, although many of us like a rubbed look or suttle oil finish etc, I think the judges are WoWed by a high gloss. Personally I think the cracked box would look great with a high gloss finish, Some Bling and Sparkle. Yet it is your personal opinion that works in the end.... Thanks for posting, really enjoyed seeing them all.

I think you're right, Bill. I spent more time on that bandsaw box than I did on all the other pieces combined, I think. The finish was about a dozen coats of garnet shellac, then sanded to 600, rubbed with grey ScotchBrite, and waxed with LV Conservators' wax. I thought the 'velvety smooth matte finish' was great, but evidently the judges opinions differed.

Interestingly, the first place winner - the glued up shadow box - was done in about an hour. The already glued up bottom was a leftover piece from some cheese cutting boards that I made a couple years ago, and the half inch thick walnut sides I just cut on the miter saw for a 15° beveled miter, grooved at 15° on the tablesaw, and glued it up. Two coats of rattle can lacquer - sanded between - and it was done. Go figure!

Like showing cattle or horses, it is only one person's opinion at that one time in space about how those specific things should be placed. That is why I preferred the timed events (gymkhana) with my horses. Cattle, the old carcass class where the calves were judged in the ring on the hoof, loaded onto a trailer and then judged again on the rail in the slaughter house.