needing a saw

I have perfected the technique for saw sharpening. Here is what I do:
I drive to the other end of town, leave them with the disabled guy who does professional sharpening for extra income. Return in a few days, pay him, take saw home. Works every time. ;)

I used to be able to do that, but one day I went with load of saws (each summer I took all the school's saws to sharpen for next season)but he didn't answer the door, a neighbor told me he had passed away. Found another (not as good or as cheap) but he died as well.
So here I am with several nice handsaws and back saws and not a good edge on either (save one) can't find a sharpener anywhere. :(

I used to be able to do that, but one day I went with load of saws (each summer I took all the school's saws to sharpen for next season)but he didn't answer the door, a neighbor told me he had passed away. Found another (not as good or as cheap) but he died as well.
So here I am with several nice handsaws and back saws and not a good edge on either (save one) can't find a sharpener anywhere. :(

Bill, that does seem to be a common story about sharpening guys. Some retirees or disable folks get into the business as an income supplement. Sadly, they are often gone in a few years. What happens to their equipment is a mystery.
I actually took my saw to a retired friend, not the disabled guy I mentioned. If you want to ship your stuff to him contact me with a PM and I'll send you his contact info.

Bill, to me when that happens I look at it as a life sort of lesson...time to learn to do it myself. I know there are time issues and stuff in life, but sharpening is pretty easy stuff.

I kind of had the same issue when I made my dovetail saw. Where was I going to send it out to get the teeth stamped out. Everything was a hassle. The final answer was too just do it myself. In two hours the teeth had been hand files and set and it cut really well.

A lot of stuff is not hard, that is why they had it 2000 years ago.

Travis' story reminded me, my father had a hand crank saw filer/sharpener. Worked on a clever rachet system. Was mostly black painted cast iron about the size of a bread box. It stayed with the business he sold and didn't come to me. Just as well, at the time I probably would have sold at a garage sale for $1.00 not knowing any better. Wish I had it now.

Frank I had the opposite issue. I had an old saw set from my grandfather and when I made that presentation dovetail saw and started to file my own teeth, I dug it out. I was shocked that it still worked. I was more shocked that I could did it in by my own feeble brain. I did set the set too wide and the presentation saw would shred lumber rather then really slice it fine. But it was a presentation saw and other then that first cut, will most likely never see wood again.

(I did glue the first cut piece of wood in the display case so that the two would forever be together).