Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New windows

New windows

Well I got to sit on my back side all day yesterday and watch to master work. The wife wanted new energy efficient windows put in before winter. I hired a company and they sent over these 2 Polish guys, One spoke very good English. The started in at 10 AM and by 6:30 were done. Nice to see young men work for a change.

That should help keep it warmer in the house.

When I first saw this post heading, I was going to say "You should have bought a Mac "

With the double pane widnows, you get less mess too, no condensation on the inside of the windows in the winter!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

"You should have bought a Mac "

I have a friend who is a contractor I will not use , his name is Mac and he is a pain in the Arce to deal with

I have four windows to go then all will be replaced in our home with the double hung, double pane windows. Makes it nice to wash them as they are the kind that hinge in.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Got to tell ya , you know you did something right and good when your wife comes home and see's the new change and begins to cry with a big smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Well I got to sit on my back side all day yesterday and watch to master work. The wife wanted new energy efficient windows put in before winter. I hired a company and they sent over these 2 Polish guys, One spoke very good English. The started in at 10 AM and by 6:30 were done. Nice to see young men work for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I have four windows to go then all will be replaced in our home with the double hung, double pane windows. Makes it nice to wash them as they are the kind that hinge in.
    So what brand of windows, and material, (ie; wood, vinyl or aluminum) are you guys getting?

We are going to replace the 3 windows in the kitchen/breakfast room soon and I have been very disappointed in what I have looked at. Pella and Anderson must be making a cheap model to sell at HD & Lowes because the fit and finish was something I can't describe here due to the CoC. And besides the quality, every fitting, handle, catch etc was plastic or some type of Nylon or Hdpe. I also looked at some Aluminum framed windows but they aren't very energy efficient. I installed 15 Aluminum framed double paned energy effecient windows in a house for my daughters 18 years ago, but they weren't really that energy efficient in my opinion, 'course they only cost me $47 each back then and my cousin and I installed them,.......(much cheaper than the $1468 bid my wife got recently for 3 "Vinyl" windows, incl installation). I HATE Vinyl but that seems to be what everybody is Pushing these days around here. I was REALLY disappointed in the Quality of the Pella and Anderson wood windows, and I have always held both of those companies in high regard as to their products.

Anybody got any better suggestions??? (Whatever we go with on these three will be what we go with for the rest of the house (16 more) when we get to THAT project), (another $8400 at those prices).

No wonder I can't afford to finish my shop. Maybe I need to just find me a Cave to live in, (those are pretty energy efficient).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 09-11-2009 at 02:36 AM.

I've often wondered just how much difference 'energy efficient' windows really make in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty well sure that the cheapest EnergyStar rated window I can buy (2'8 x 3'0 vinyl American Craftsman from Home Depot was $89 or something like that) will be much more effective at keeping the weather in or out than the 60 year old wood windows I can see daylight through. Being a cynic, I guess I take all the 'you'll save 30%' hype of the big-name manufacturers as just that... hype. Maybe I'll only save 27% with the cheapie.

But you're right... the fit and finish leaves room for improvement.

In today's modern vinyl windows you are paying for better construction quality, UV resistance and better seals in the double panes. Usually the more you pay the better the warranty. The big names like Pella, Anderson and Milguard don't want to be paying out for warranty work and dealing with recovering a bad reputation. And you never have to paint them... ever.

I know Milguard makes a fiberglass clad wood window. Paintable fiberglass on the exterior and clear douglas fir on the interior. Pretty pricey though.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I am not good at percentages of savings as we heat with an outside wood boiler and know it takes a pickup load of wood per week during the cold spells. But I do know that we have no ice on the inside of the windows, window sills are no longer discolored due to water/ice damage. And, we can leave the couch in front of the double windows in the living room during the winter now! Before the couch was always cold. That was a life improving modification for us! Percentages aside, comfort is king!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING