Simple Inside Calipers Anyone can make

Dan Mosley

I saw this posted on another website and thought it is simple enough to make and save some money.
The only thing im thinking i would want to change is the pc's that hold the wire to eachother (a better securing / holding clamp or something). The one clamp would have to allow for sliding of the upper rod to be able to measure the depth - not sure what this person used
Anybody have any ideas on a simple fastening clamp or another method ?
Looks like they used a brass rod or some type of welding rod perhaps - any thoughts ?

Attachments

• Inside Calipers.jpg
    Inside Calipers.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I saw this posted on another website and thought it is simple enough to make and save some money.
The only thing im thinking i would want to change is
the pc's that hold the wire to eachother
That piece looks like what I buy at the hdwe store to secure the ends of clothesline to each other. Squeeze the bottom loop and let the wire slip free in the top loop.

I believe what you are looking at is a "crimp" used to secure cable and guy wires. You should be able to obtain one, very inexpensively, at any boat or marine supply store. It will have two openings, you squeeze one closed with a plier or tap it with a hammer if necessary, that will prevent any movement. The other opening will be for the movable portion, you can gently sqeeze it with a plier or vise until the rod moves but doesn't "slip".
Steve

Follow up and making one

I went down to True Value today and bought 2 metal rods and the cable clamp that i was asking about. I suppose you could have made it even cheaper by using a coat hanger but i wanted something a little thicker.
Total Cost $2.50.
I found as small oak dowel rod at home and cut a small handle and drilled a hole in the center. The cable crimper thing and handle were attached using epoxy i had laying around. Made the top rod a bit longer and in the closed position i used a black sharpie to mark the fully closed position.
Total Time - approx 30min and that included my mandatory union 15min break..............LOL

Pictures attached

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 29