state fair point score results

Dan Noren

Staff member
went with my dad today and picked up the items from the fair today. he was really surprised when i told him that the grandfather clock was a combined xmas and birthday present from the wife and i. the sis in law now has posession of the foot stool (she staked her claim on it almost as soon as the shellac dried :rofl:), and the coffee table is now officially up for grabs as soon as i figure out how to sell it. :huh::dunno::type:

now on to the fun stuff, the point scores...

coffee table took 96 out of a possible 100 points.

grandfather clock took 95 out of a possible 100 points.

foot stool took 92.5 out of a possible 100 points.

i'm not too disappointed that the foot stool took 4th with that point score. once again, tight competition.

congrats DANO 95 or 96 percent is definatly tough competition.. would be nice to see wher they gave yu demerits so you can change it next time maybe? but the judges veiws are always gonna be differnt form one side to the other.

ok larry, here's how it shakes out in the point scores...

design (beauty,suitability,color) 20 pts
workmanship 20 pts
originality 15 pts
difficulty of project 15 pts
usefullness 10 pts
value in point of interest 10
value of article in relation to work
done & material used 10

coffee table
design 18
workmanship 19
originality 14.5
difficulty 15
usefullness 10
value 10
value of article 9.5
total 96

grandfather clock
design 18
workmanship 18
originality 15
difficulty 14 (they should have been there:rofl:)
usefulness 10
value 10
value of article 10
total 95

foot stool
design 17.5
workmanship 17.5
originality 15
difficulty 14
usefulness 10
value 9
value of article 9.5
total 92.5

Just curious, but what makes up Value, and value of article and how are they differentiated?:huh: Kinda seems 20 pts on total value and only 10 on usefulness would be better split 15 and 15, (but that's just MY opinion).:D

I don't envy the judges in any art-based contest. (Woodworking, music, dance, any of them.) There is so much subjectivity and personal opinion/emotion involved, it must be a difficult task to choose a winner.

Vaughn I agree totally!!! I would judge and run!! All of the work on those pieces and then have to pick ONE! Kind of like picking the top shoptip in some of the wood magazines. Man some months they have excellent ones and would hate to have to pick only one.