Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drum sander snipe

drum sander snipe

AHHHHH... I'm ready to take a sledgehammer to this thing
    I have a delta 18-36" drum sander that I can't get to stop sniping my boards. It's set up as perfect as I can get it, but the sniping continues. it has something to do with the rollers, and I read nowhere in the manual about adjusting them.anyone here have any idea how to stop the sniping????
    Good grief this is frustrating... I can see it happening with my lunchbox planer, but not with this sander... totally unexceptable.
    Thanks....
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

james do you have extension tables for it?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Excuse my ignorance, but what should I understand by sniping? That the sander takes a bite on the piece that is being sanded?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Tony,

The following link to Woodezine website has a great diagram that explains it very well. The site is copyrighted, so I refrained from just copying and pasting the diagram directly.

<<Link>>

Fixed the link!
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 09-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Tony,

The following link to Woodezine website has a great diagram that explains it very well. The site is copyrighted, so I refrained from just copying and pasting the diagram directly.

<<Link>>
    Thanks but it doesn't seem to work, it give the "not found" error
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Here's the correct format for the link.

I don't know what happened on Bill's post, but the link has extraneous information in it. While this refers to a planer, the same concept can be applied to a drum sander.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Many thanks to both. Now I understand
    Best regards,
    Toni

If you are getting snipe, then it should need to releas some of the pressure off the rollers. Check on the end of the rollers for blocks w/ bolts in them. Try backing off the blots a half turn and see if this helps. I know on my Woodmaster if I forget to release the rollers after makeing some moldings I will get nasty snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    james do you have extension tables for it?
    I don't.. and I can't see how a stationary ext table will work on a moving sanding table.. I could see it on the other DS where the head moves, but on this the feed table moves up/down.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    If you are getting snipe, then it should need to releas some of the pressure off the rollers. Check on the end of the rollers for blocks w/ bolts in them. Try backing off the blots a half turn and see if this helps. I know on my Woodmaster if I forget to release the rollers after makeing some moldings I will get nasty snipe.
    from what I see, there's no adjustment on the rollers... they bolt directly to the frame, and are spring tensioned(think clothes pin type spring action)....
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

Hello,

Have you checked to make sure the drive and idle roller at the ends of the table/platen are even with the table/platen? (i.e. remove the conveyor belt and take a straight edge to them.)

On second thought they might even have to be below the surface of the table/platen, but definitely not above.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 09-11-2009 at 05:03 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem