drum sander snipe

James Edwards

AHHHHH... I'm ready to take a sledgehammer to this thing :doh:
I have a delta 18-36" drum sander that I can't get to stop sniping my boards. It's set up as perfect as I can get it, but the sniping continues. it has something to do with the rollers, and I read nowhere in the manual about adjusting them.anyone here have any idea how to stop the sniping???? :huh:
Good grief this is frustrating... I can see it happening with my lunchbox planer, but not with this sander... totally unexceptable.
Thanks....

Tony,

The following link to Woodezine website has a great diagram that explains it very well. The site is copyrighted, so I refrained from just copying and pasting the diagram directly.

<<Link>>

Fixed the link!

Last edited:
If you are getting snipe, then it should need to releas some of the pressure off the rollers. Check on the end of the rollers for blocks w/ bolts in them. Try backing off the blots a half turn and see if this helps. I know on my Woodmaster if I forget to release the rollers after makeing some moldings I will get nasty snipe.

james do you have extension tables for it?

I don't.. and I can't see how a stationary ext table will work on a moving sanding table.. I could see it on the other DS where the head moves, but on this the feed table moves up/down.....
If you are getting snipe, then it should need to releas some of the pressure off the rollers. Check on the end of the rollers for blocks w/ bolts in them. Try backing off the blots a half turn and see if this helps. I know on my Woodmaster if I forget to release the rollers after makeing some moldings I will get nasty snipe.

from what I see, there's no adjustment on the rollers... they bolt directly to the frame, and are spring tensioned(think clothes pin type spring action)....:dunno:

Hello,

Have you checked to make sure the drive and idle roller at the ends of the table/platen are even with the table/platen? (i.e. remove the conveyor belt and take a straight edge to them.)

On second thought they might even have to be below the surface of the table/platen, but definitely not above.

Cheers,

Last edited:
It's the geometry of the feed tables (or lack of tables) - as Larry mentioned the height specifically that may be causing the snipe you're experiencing. Take with a grain of salt (or a pound) since I've never used your model sander. But the geometry theory still holds true for most thickness machines.

Wes

I've not used this machine, so I have no hands on experience, but, I'm setting in the L shop with nothing to do, so I'll take a look around the net and see hat I can come up with :D

You have which Delta 18-36 sander?

delta-31-255X.jpg
31-255X

or

41ZVFrcPHRL._SS500_.jpg
31-260X

The reason I ask, is that I'm looking at parts breakdowns to see what is adjustable..... :dunno:

Here is a parts breakdown for the >> 31-255X << (PDF file)

I've not used this machine, so I have no hands on experience, but, I'm setting in the L shop with nothing to do, so I'll take a look around the net and see hat I can come up with :D

You have which Delta 18-36 sander?

View attachment 36642
31-255X
This one....

The reason I ask, is that I'm looking at parts breakdowns to see what is adjustable..... :dunno:

Here is a parts breakdown for the >> 31-255X << (PDF file)

Instruction Manual for the >> 31-250X & 31-255X << (PDF File)
Looks like the table is the only "Adjustable" part.

Instruction Manual for the >> 31-260X <<

I hope that helps! :wave:
Thanks Stuart, for sspending your time with this. I have the manual, and you're correct, table adjustments only.... I just spent an hour looking for the outfeed table that Larry mentioned, but can't seem to locate it. Delta sells one for their TS, but I see none for the DS, maybe they're interchangeable,I dunno....:dunno:

James...

I'm interested in the outcome, as a drum sander is on my short list, and I'm not a big fan of snipe. I've been looking at the manual for your 31-255X (thanks Stu), and I'm puzzled how you could even get snipe. It doesn't have infeed/outfeed rollers (like a planer) unless I just don't see them. With my planer I've discovered a common cause of snipe has to do with the rollers (uneven pressure, improper height setting, etc.), or improper setting of the chip breaker, which allows (or causes) one end of the workpiece to be slightly kicked up into the knives...well, no rollers or chip breaker on the sander. But that's what causes snipe..."something" allows the piece to be higher relative to the cutting circle on the infeed or outfeed side (or both) than it is when it's properly pressed against the table. Another cause of snipe on my planer is taking too deep a cut...maybe that could relate to a drum sander. My impression is that these things aren't really designed for thicknessing but for final dressing...if I'm wrong please correct me...which would say very light "cuts".

How long is your workpiece? If it's so long that the weight of the piece causes the front end to ride high then the drum will remove extra material until the drum pressure forces it against the belt...same on the outboard side if it's allowed to sag. In that case extra support (per Larry) should help.

Assuming you get this solved before your sledge hammer turns it into a train wreck, please let us know the answer. I await patiently...well, maybe not so patiently.

Good luck.

Cheers.

... It doesn't have infeed/outfeed rollers (like a planer) unless I just don't see them. With my planer I've discovered a common cause of snipe has to do with the rollers (uneven pressure, improper height setting, etc.), ...

Figure 18 shows a roller, although there's no direct reference to it. There are references to the front and rear pressure rollers. Perhaps the tension on the rollers should be checked to ensure it's equal.

Last edited:
You're right Bill, Fig 18 shows a roller...I missed that. I didn't see it on the parts list, but then I've been known to overlook stuff. No mention of how to adjust it (them?), although there is reference to lubricating the bushings for the pressure rollers.

This is an excerpt from the Grizzly manual for the G0458 open-end drum sander, not sure if any of it is applicable:

Excessive snipe

Possible cause:
1. Lack of outfeed support
2. Too much pressure from pressure plates
3. Too much pressure from the rear pressure plate.

Possible solution:
1. Set up an outfeed table or have someone catch the workpiece as it comes out.
2. Raise the pressure plates
3. Raise the rear pressure plate
This isn't apples to apples, but I agree with Bill...if the Delta pressure rollers are adjustable I'd give that a go. Adjusting the rollers on my planer for proper height and tension is a "change it and try it" proposition...probably the same here.

The Grizzly manual says "Excessive snipe"...does that mean that some snipe is unavoidable with this type machine? Bummer.

Any progress James?

Cheers.

Update: found this on Amazon. Once again it's the Grizzly sander.

"The main problems I encountered early on have been snipe and burnng of boards. As I read other reviews, these seem to be common problems with other comparable drum sanders. I eventually purchased an after market 5 roller extension table to keep the wood level as it came out of the feed table. (I was able to get a nice finish on a 50" long by 17" wide board recently.)"

"I didn't have any trouble with snipe but I was prepared for it. If you ran a longer piece you would need out feed rollers for sure."

Last edited: