Borer holes

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
I am turning what I think could be a very interesting piece of Black Walnut into a bowl. I have rough turned the bottom of the bowl close to the shape I want and I have about 2 dozen pin size borer holes on one side and a small ¼” by ½” punky spot on the other side if the bowl. I don’t know how deep any of these go. Should I fill these with thin CA and let it set? How do you all treat these things?

I would leave the pin size borer holes alone.

For the small ¼” by ½” punky spot I would:
  • Treat with Minwax Wood Hardener
  • OR fill with a powdered stone or sawdust using thin CA

personally, I don't like filling holes with CA, it's hard to hide under a penetrating finish.

Tony

Thank you for the suggestions: leave the holes, put a hardener in the punky area and double the price and call it “Art” I’ll feel funny talking to a bowl and calling him Art.:huh::eek::):D:rofl::rofl:

I’ll feel funny talking to a bowl and calling him Art.:huh::eek::):D:rofl::rofl:

Oh, I dunno. Tom Hanks' character in Castaway talked all the time to a volleyball he called Wilson. 'Course, his name was written right across his "self". Boy, it sure was sad when Wilson drifted away and was lost at sea, though. :(

Best of luck with the bowl! :thumb:

A bowl called "Art"

First off sounds like a movie title... kinda like "A man called Horse" :rofl::rofl:

I turned an oak bowl from a chuck off a friends old tree... after I got pretty far into the inside of the bowl, I realized that a chunk had popped out near the bottom... it's got a hole big enough to put your thumb through...
I got nervous about the rest of it coming apart, so I stopped and left it pretty thick.... at every show I go to, the bowl stops traffic and everyone handles the bowl... haven't sold it yet, but get lots and lots of compliments from the fondlers.... my wife calls my wood turnings "fondle ware"...

The first 4 are pictures of my bowl, "Art".:wave:

The last two are of a piece of Butternut that already had the center eaten out by ants... it also gets lots of attention as an "art" piece.

I vote, just leave it as is... you'll be surprised at the attention it will get.

Oh, wrong Chuck posting pictures...

Attachments

• 10-707-5.JPG
    10-707-5.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 10-707-2.JPG
    10-707-2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 10-707-7.JPG
    10-707-7.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 10-707-8.JPG
    10-707-8.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 10-696-3.JPG
    10-696-3.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 10-696-4.JPG
    10-696-4.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 10
Tony, this is a bowl that I am turning in a class that meets once a week, so I’m thinking it might be a few weeks before I finish it and can introduce you to Art. Because if the interesting “artwork” on it, I’m halfway thinking of turning a plane Jane (a bowl called Jane?) block of walnut that I have to what the instructor wants for this first week, and go ahead and finish Art at home so I can see what he will look like.

Chuck, those are great looking bowls, I think much more artful than Art may turn out, but we’ll see.