Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really annoying noise

really annoying noise

A road is being built at a subdivision more than a half mile from my house. At the beginning of the week I started hearing low pitched rumbling noises right at 7 a.m and lasting until dark. I drove over there and found a bulldozer and a grader at work making the noise.
    What amazes me, though, is how bad the noise is. My house is about a 1/4 mile above a creek, on the other side are cliffs about 40 feet high, beyond that is a ridge and more than another 1/4 mile past all that is where the work is being done.
    They have a right to be there, and I know they won't be there forever. But noise like that, affecting such a large area is unreasonable. I don't know the answer other than better mufflers for the big diesel machines.
    Color me annoyed.

I wonder if the geology is helping with that ... sound travels pretty well through solid rock, maybe the sound is actually transmitting through the ground?

There may not be a solution - maybe they could hang giant sound curtains between them and civilization? :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Are you sure they weren't using a vibratory roller, too? The rumble from those can travel a long way, especially if it's over solid rock.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I thought you were going to link to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUgkcjOLkQ

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Are you sure they weren't using a vibratory roller, too? The rumble from those can travel a long way, especially if it's over solid rock.
    I only saw a large dozer and a grader.
    Sound started again at 7 a.m. today. I said "annoying", that is an understatement, I can feel the vibes.
    I do have a supply of black tip '06 ammo. Mebbe a night time visit.......

if they're running underground gas lines and such, they could be using a type of boring machine that makes the hole by ramming it's way through the dirt. when i was at the old apartment, they ran some new gas lines under the street and our parking lot. the old apt was a basement level apt, and trust me, when they started in the morning, i was literally shook awake.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Geez Frank, you are not on a North Neighbor are you
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Geez Frank, you are not on a North Neighbor are you
    Not sure what that means. Yer safe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Not sure what that means. Yer safe though.
    If you remember my first Aparto renovation, the Northside Neighbour was a bother, always complaining about every little thing, calling the cops/fire department/immigration etc on my various times, a real pain in the neck.

I'm joking about you being like that................ right.........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    If you remember my first Aparto renovation, the Northside Neighbour was a bother, always complaining about every little thing, calling the cops/fire department/immigration etc on my various times, a real pain in the neck.

I'm joking about you being like that................ right.........
    Don't remember that. But, I not complaining about "little thing" or a pain in the "neck". This is a stomach and head ache thing. Some human rights groups call being subjected to low pitched sounds for extended periods of time torture. I'm inclined to agree at this point. Ear plugs wouldn't even help since my body can feel the vibes.