Formbys on Shellac??

I want to put Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil ( I know it's not really Tung oil ) on a project made out of juniper. It's a soft wood and has a tendency to "soak up" any finish ie: Poly, Danish Oil, etc.

So my question is should I use a Shellac as a sealer and if I do would several coats of Formby's adhere to and or build up on top of the Shellac.

Thank you
Jiggs Elphison

Rennie thanks for the response - I am not ashamed to admit my ignorance, but what is the difference between dewaxed and i assume you'll say waxed.

The only Shellac I've ever used is Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac.

Jiggs E[/FONT]lphison

In the shellac that is used as a "Finish Coat", wax is added in the manufacturing process, to help the Shellac flow out better.

Shellac used as a sealer OR primer, MUST be DEWAXED, because the wax will keep most other "Finish Coats" from adhering to the Shellac.

Clear as Mud, huh?:D

In the shellac that is used as a "Finish Coat", wax is added in the manufacturing process, to help the Shellac flow out better...

Not really. The wax is a 'natural' product of the bug secretions that are used to make the shellac.

If you make your own shellac from flakes, and let it sit for a day or so after mixing, the wax will settle out to the bottom of the container. You can then decant the pure (de-waxed) shellac off the top.

Zinnzer's regular shellac product is somehow 'homogenized' to keep the wax in suspension.

Zinnzer's SealCoat® is dewaxed.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that "educated me regarding waxed vrs dewaxed shellac" I'm off to find Zinsser's Seal Coat and start the finishing of my project...

I'm constantly amazed at the quick response one receives on this Forum
regardless how elementary the questions are and the answers never contain a hint to the questioner that they should know the answer or that the questioner must be below the the average intelligence level...

That my friends is a true sign of professionalism and character. I really appreciate and enjoy this Forum. Maybe some day I'll work up enough courage to post some of my efforts to be critiqued. Until than I'll continue to read, inquire and learn.

Thank you
Jiggs Elphison

Thanks to all that "educated me regarding waxed vrs dewaxed shellac" I'm off to find Zinsser's Seal Coat and start the finishing of my project...

I'm constantly amazed at the quick response one receives on this Forum
regardless how elementary the questions are and the answers never contain a hint to the questioner that they should know the answer or that the questioner must be below the the average intelligence level...

That my friends is a true sign of professionalism and character. I really appreciate and enjoy this Forum. Maybe some day I'll work up enough courage to post some of my efforts to be critiqued. Until than I'll continue to read, inquire and learn.

Thank you
Jiggs Elphison
Jiggs,
Never be afraid to post a question or show some of your work. The purpose of this forum to help us all advance in our chosen hobby/Profession. I am 62 years old and have been doing woodwork for most of my life. First as a hobby and second as a profession. We all can learn from one another. We are all one big happy family.

Not really. The wax is a 'natural' product of the bug secretions that are used to make the shellac.

If you make your own shellac from flakes, and let it sit for a day or so after mixing, the wax will settle out to the bottom of the container. You can then decant the pure (de-waxed) shellac off the top.

Zinnzer's regular shellac product is somehow 'homogenized' to keep the wax in suspension.

Zinnzer's SealCoat® is dewaxed.

:doh::doh::doh::eek: You are EXACTLY correct Jim. I KNEW THAT, and have NO idea what I was thinking when I typed that. (Guess I'll have to quit mixing the LOML's computer requests/directives with mine when multitasking). It seems I can't DO three or four things at the same time anymore, (at least Not Correctly).:rolleyes::D

Thanks for correcting my Blunder.:thumb::thumb::thumb: (I have now removed the "blunder" in that post to prevent confusion to others.

Last edited:
Jiggs, best beat would be 3 coats of shellac mixed 50/50 then 2 full coats, sand between each coat. After that 4 coats of oil 50/50 then 3-4 coats full sand between coats. After that buffing. If you use this process let me know and I'll dirrect you with the buffing. This is a process I use on pianos.

Dave, when you say shellac 50/50 and oil 50/50, what are they mixed with? In other words, what's the other 50%? Would you use thinner (DNA and mineral spirits, respectively)?