Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Cold Storage to Warm Work Area

Changing Cold Storage to Warm Work Area

I am in the process of finishing off my cold storage area of my shop. It is an additional 20 ft wide x 24 ft long. This makes the total shop 20 ft x 52 ft.

Picture #1 - Shows the shop from the main door and is looking the length of the shop.
    Picture #2 & #3 - Standing where the old end wall was looking into the new portion of the shop.
    Picture #4 - Shows the corner where I plan to store 3/4 standing on the 8 ft edge on a shelf with lumber underneath.
    Picture #5 - Standing in the corner shown in Picture #4 looking the length of the shop. Notice the vertical sheet storage rack - it will be eliminated.

The most difficult part of this job is working around all the stuff in the room. It seems like it is constantly in the way. I have completed sheeting the walls in the back corner for the sheet and lumber rack, so I am going to build the rack and move stuff. Then I will be able to finish the rest witout having to climb, trip and move all the stuff again.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8230467.JPG   P8230468.JPG   P8230473.JPG   P8230474.JPG   P8230470.JPG  

Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Looking good Rich.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

That should be a fine shop. The size is good for placing a lot of equipment. Finished pictures are mandatory.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks. The big problem with the original shop is I do not have assembly space and storage space. This definitely solves that problem.

I am going to paint the walls and ceiling where the sheet and lumber storage is going to be. Then I will build the storage, move the lumber and sheet goods and finish painting the rest of the new area. This should clear out most of the floor space for painting.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Nice size shop Rich. Since Jonathan got advice from the forum on the painting of OSB, I wish i had done mine like you are ,,,,that is in OSB rather than drywall. Just didnt figure on painting it like you are. Look up the thread on Jonathans shop build and see what was recommended for priming it. My memory is getting bad so i cannot remember.
    cheers

Thanks, Rob. The original half of my shop is in drywall, so I will have a direct comparison.

It is so nice to have help on these things from all of you people. Your input has a positive impact on my shop as well as projects. I really appreciate the help.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Update as of Oct 11

Here are updated pictures of the shop addition.

Pictures #1 and #2 show my Clearvue Cylcone. I relocated it and mounted it to this interior wall that I saved which was part of a partition wall between the warm area and the cold storage area. My ceiling was 94.5" high, so I had to make a cut out for the motor to go into so I had enough height. The cyclone was mounted on the outer wall, but that is the eve side, and it was too high to allow proper ventilation with the insulation in the attic.

Pictures #3 and #4 show my sheet goods storage with lumber storage underneath. #3 also shows some extra shelving for other storage like extra plumbing stuff and electrical stuff in the copier paper boxes and storage for plastic tool storage boxes.

Picture 5 shows the length of shop standing in front of the double personnel door.

I am in the process of rewiring and connecting the dust collector. Then the table saw is going to be moved back toward the double personnel door. I also have to finish the ceiling where the cyclone used to be mouted.
    Attached Thumbnails

"To the world, you might be one person, but to one person, you might be the world."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2317.jpg   DSCF2318.jpg   DSCF2315.jpg   DSCF2316.jpg   DSCF2319.jpg  

Rich (the Yooper)

That sure created a lot of space Lots of elbow room Lookin good Rich

I notice that the hinges on your double doors are on the inside. Its always been my understanding that having the hinges on this type door on the outside makes it harder to break in. Maybe a cross bar & brackets on the inside would help? I'm funny this way I had my shop door kicked in however the culprit made to much noise & was heard but believe it or not he out ran the police dog.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

lookun good rich i wont recognize your shop when i get up yur way now yu got it all spiffied up.. i did see yu have built in kitchen too the grill stand is in one pic.. dont yu ever go in the house now
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!