Changing Cold Storage to Warm Work Area

Rich Aldrich

I am in the process of finishing off my cold storage area of my shop. It is an additional 20 ft wide x 24 ft long. This makes the total shop 20 ft x 52 ft.

Picture #1 - Shows the shop from the main door and is looking the length of the shop.
Picture #2 & #3 - Standing where the old end wall was looking into the new portion of the shop.
Picture #4 - Shows the corner where I plan to store 3/4 standing on the 8 ft edge on a shelf with lumber underneath.
Picture #5 - Standing in the corner shown in Picture #4 looking the length of the shop. Notice the vertical sheet storage rack - it will be eliminated.

The most difficult part of this job is working around all the stuff in the room. It seems like it is constantly in the way. I have completed sheeting the walls in the back corner for the sheet and lumber rack, so I am going to build the rack and move stuff. Then I will be able to finish the rest witout having to climb, trip and move all the stuff again.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• P8230467.JPG
    P8230467.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 165
  • P8230468.JPG
    P8230468.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 157
  • P8230473.JPG
    P8230473.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 150
  • P8230474.JPG
    P8230474.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 147
  • P8230470.JPG
    P8230470.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 149
Thanks. The big problem with the original shop is I do not have assembly space and storage space. This definitely solves that problem.

I am going to paint the walls and ceiling where the sheet and lumber storage is going to be. Then I will build the storage, move the lumber and sheet goods and finish painting the rest of the new area. This should clear out most of the floor space for painting.

Nice size shop Rich. Since Jonathan got advice from the forum on the painting of OSB, I wish i had done mine like you are ,,,,that is in OSB rather than drywall. Just didnt figure on painting it like you are. Look up the thread on Jonathans shop build and see what was recommended for priming it. My memory is getting bad so i cannot remember.:):thumb:

Thanks, Rob. The original half of my shop is in drywall, so I will have a direct comparison.

It is so nice to have help on these things from all of you people. Your input has a positive impact on my shop as well as projects. I really appreciate the help.

Update as of Oct 11

Here are updated pictures of the shop addition.

Pictures #1 and #2 show my Clearvue Cylcone. I relocated it and mounted it to this interior wall that I saved which was part of a partition wall between the warm area and the cold storage area. My ceiling was 94.5" high, so I had to make a cut out for the motor to go into so I had enough height. The cyclone was mounted on the outer wall, but that is the eve side, and it was too high to allow proper ventilation with the insulation in the attic.

Pictures #3 and #4 show my sheet goods storage with lumber storage underneath. #3 also shows some extra shelving for other storage like extra plumbing stuff and electrical stuff in the copier paper boxes and storage for plastic tool storage boxes.

Picture 5 shows the length of shop standing in front of the double personnel door.

I am in the process of rewiring and connecting the dust collector. Then the table saw is going to be moved back toward the double personnel door. I also have to finish the ceiling where the cyclone used to be mouted.
Attached Thumbnails

"To the world, you might be one person, but to one person, you might be the world."

Attachments

• DSCF2316.jpg
    DSCF2316.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF2315.jpg
    DSCF2315.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF2318.jpg
    DSCF2318.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF2317.jpg
    DSCF2317.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF2319.jpg
    DSCF2319.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 63
I notice that the hinges on your double doors are on the inside. Its always been my understanding that having the hinges on this type door on the outside makes it harder to break in. Maybe a cross bar & brackets on the inside would help? I'm funny this way I had my shop door kicked in however the culprit made to much noise & was heard but believe it or not he out ran the police dog.

lookun good rich i wont recognize your shop when i get up yur way now yu got it all spiffied up.. i did see yu have built in kitchen too the grill stand is in one pic.. dont yu ever go in the house now:)

Thanks guys.

Bart, thanks for the idea of a cross bar. The hinges couldnt be standard door hinges if they were on the outside. This is a standard steel double entry door. The non-active door bolts vertically top and bottom.

Larry, that little red grill is a smoker I got at Walmart. I like to smoke venison after deer season, so I got it and the best place to store it is in the shop. It attracts little critters when I store it in the garage.

Last edited:
The progress looks remarkable. Storage is always an ongoing issue when it concerns our work spaces. We either buy mobile storage compartments or we fully renovate to make way for more storage space. What you are doing right now is definitely the better option which is a more cost-effective way and customizable too. It never hurts to be a little creative and to get your hands dirty for your own personal gain.

Thomas, Hi and welcome to the forum. We are glad you found us and happy you jumped right on in. This is a pretty old thread and Rich hasn't posted in a while. It would be interesting to see what his shop looks like today.