Thread: help me identify this wood

help me identify this wood

put a bit of oil on it, center piece, lighter than oak and ash, no pinholes like amborsia maple, greens, browns, violets, yellows, the entire length of it, thought box elder at first, but no red, is it another form of maple. Im lost with this ohne.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1288 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1289 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1290 (Medium).jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Purty wood, Donno wood,
    It sure is purty
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

It's shore nuf pretty. How about poplar? From the pics, it looks like the grain might be about right.

What are ya making?
    Wes

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    put a bit of oil on it, center piece, lighter than oak and ash, no pinholes like amborsia maple, greens, browns, violets, yellows, the entire length of it, thought box elder at first, but no red, is it another form of maple. Im lost with this ohne.
    Allen it looks a lot like the box elder i made a couple bowls out of. Mine didn't have much red ether. just a little in the sap.

Got a familiar look, I just can't bring to mind.
    A tiny, faint voice is saying "luan" to me.....
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

where did yu get it allen? i highly doubt its Box Elder, they just done make lumber outa that much at all.. i would lean towards popular. is it soft like a pine?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm the farthest thing from knowing a wide range of wood types but it looks a little bit like myrtle to me.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

this is part of the lumber I picked up for 100 dollars at the guy I buy wood from.
    I bought well over a 100 board feet, for 100 bucks, came out to less than 87cent a bf, and it was way piled under a bunch of oak, he said he bought it so long ago, he wasnt sure what it was, he thought it was some kind of south or central American rosewood, leftover from a job he did years ago.

I looked at a thousand pictures last night till 2 am, box elder just has so much more reddish tints, and I took out some ambrosia maple I have, it doesnt have the same look, plus, there isnt one pin hole or worm holes on this.

I did find some pictures of sapwood rosewood, actually looked something like it, but then again, so did 50 other species.

Its not soft, but its not as hard as oak either. Maybe its poplar, I just dont know.
    Regardless, Im resawing it today into 1/4 panels, my daughter doesnt want raised panels on her unit, she prefers flat panels.

My guess is Goncalvo Alves. But really who knows? It easily could be some domestic wood with interesting mineral streaks in it.

I think Ill cut down a 2 foot piece of it and bring it with me when I go upstate in a couple of weeks and drop it off with Rennie. Maybe someone will be able to recognize it, maybe Rennie will pinpoint right away. Its not a deal breaking mystery or anything, Id just like to know so when someone says, hey, what is this made of? I can answer them correctly, instead of saying, uh, I dont know, I just build them.

(Id bring it over to a local wood dealer near me, but Id feel funny asking him for help on someone elses product, besides, I stopped buying from him when I realized he was charging a bit too much)