New and wanted to say hi

Just wanted to drop you all a note, introduce myself and say hi.

I was in the Navy for 9 years decided i had enough fun and got out. i now work as a merchant marine on the Great Lakes. I know, get off of one ship and get on another. we haul mainly iron ore and coal.

I live in northern Michigan with my wife and four kids. 7, 5, 3, 1.
yes they keep the wife pretty busy when i'm not there, which is about 8-9 months of the year.

i did a lot of woodworking in my younger days, but have really just rediscovered my interest in it. my main interest is the lathe. i have always enjoyed spinning wood.

so this is me in a nut shell. and please keep the lights on and buy some steel, keep me working!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. and for the record its stephen, pronounced stef-in. dont worry barry, i'm used to it. its a mistake i have lived with my entire life. blame my parents, thier the ones that used the english spelling of steven..
hey tom i wast the navy recruiter in k-zoo from 02-05 spent some time up there in plainwell very nice town. :)

Last edited:
welcome to our crew stephen:) and us michigan folk need to stick together!! gaylord is a great area have hunted and fished up in your parts..once welcome and there are many turners here even though i try to discourge folk from going there flat work rules in my book:):D oh and thanks for your military service for our fine country:thumb::thumb: