Thread: small Birch box w Walnut lid

small Birch box w Walnut lid

Been playing around with the lathe I posted about before Christmas.... I had a chunk of a Birch limb from a tree in my son's yard.

With a piece of Walnut for a lid, I hollowed the lid as well, Trying a few techniques. Just playing around learning to use my new toys, the lathe, new chuck, etc.

Total piece is about 3" tall and 3+" wide... less than 1/8" thick in most areas. Can you see the crack? CA glued it back together. Before the several coats of wipe-on Poly & final rubbing with Rottenstone & Mineral oil.

Got a couple of other jewels on the lathe (waiting) but I really need a curved tool rest. I got the 3/4" bar and 1/2" cut to size, will bend the 1/2" but ran out of wire for the MIG and have to pick some up to weld up. Making 4 sizes & shapes for future endeavors.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill,
    I moved your post to lathe land only because it should be featured where us spinnney guys can appreciate the art. The box is great and I am sure that it was a challenge. Keep up the great work. The form is great and the finish is well what can I say.

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    Nice job Bill
    I like the colors