gearing up for the real production run....

Dan Noren

Staff member
wonderful day today, my wife paid for the lumber for the craft show production run.:thumb::D only one catch though, i have to buy her the boots she wants for this wedding we have to go to on saturday. oh well, it wouldn't be fishing, if there weren't a hook involved...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best of luck. From what I have read craft shows are hot and cold. The economy has certainly not helped.

Let us know how you do. I think many of use would like to make a few dollars to help feed the habit,,, err... I mean hobby.

thanks guys! my sister will be the one on the selling side, since she knows more about this craft show stuff than i do:rolleyes:. i'm just a humble woodworker, i just make stuff.:D:thumb:

i did manage to get all the parts cut for everything today, and finished cutting and got home in time to get ready and scoot to work. i'll post the pics once i get home tonight. i know how the pic police work... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dan,
Best of luck. Like you I don't enjoy the sales side, but making is fun. My wife likes doing craft shows, and now that my shop is getting closer to 'full speed' we're considering tooling up on 'sales' items for the spring shows.

ned,
according to my sister, around here the ones in october are busy ones, because the people she calls "craft salers" are out in force, picking up stuff for the holidays, and christmas. she says that they are not like the rest of us, just checking a few here and there, they hit every table, so as not to miss anything. time will tell...:dunno:

today's pics

as promised, today's fun...

Attachments

• all set up to start cutting.JPG
    all set up to start cutting.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 50
  • walnut cherry maple and ash waiting to be cut.JPG
    walnut cherry maple and ash waiting to be cut.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 45
  • all parts cut.JPG
    all parts cut.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 55
ned,
according to my sister, around here the ones in october are busy ones, because the people she calls "craft salers" are out in force, picking up stuff for the holidays, and christmas. she says that they are not like the rest of us, just checking a few here and there, they hit every table, so as not to miss anything. time will tell...:dunno:

Same sort of people around here, but I know that I a) don't have time enough to make enough inventory to be useful right now. and b) don't have the cash to invest in said inventory.

again, best of luck with the venture. Nice looking stash of wood for the projects though.

ps. I like the ole Blue Jet DC, I have a similar unit, albeit smaller than that. Mine is strictly a one tool unit at a mere 650 cfm. really need to get that sucker hooked up though, I'm getting tired of sweeping.

Last edited:
the gluing begins!!

well, all the cutting for this project is done! :thumb: now the gluing commences, and i'm happy i've invested in more than a few pipe clamps:D i started gluing up the blanks for the wine bottle holders last night, and finished them today. then it will be on to the cutting boards, then the cheese boards.:rolleyes: i've also figured out what to do with the off cuts from the wine bottle holders. :D after checking the prototype's off cut, i've found that they have enough useable length, that they would make some nice door stops. :thumb:

Attachments

• bottle holder glue up 1.JPG
    bottle holder glue up 1.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 32
  • bottle holder glue up 2.JPG
    bottle holder glue up 2.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 34
last couple of days progress...

in the last couple of days i managed to get everything all glued up. before i hop in bed tonight, its remove all the little squeeze outs. then tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, i'll be making all the finishing cuts.

Attachments

• cheeseboards 2.JPG
    cheeseboards 2.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 27
  • cheeseboards 1.JPG
    cheeseboards 1.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 20
  • cutting boards3.JPG
    cutting boards3.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 23
  • cutting boards 2.JPG
    cutting boards 2.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 21
  • cutting boards 1.JPG
    cutting boards 1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 22
today's progress

well, i really got it in gear today. everything has been planed flat, cut to finished sizes, and cut to finished shapes. the jig i made for cutting the wine bottle holders worked out pretty good. i managed to get all 21 of them cut in about the time it would have taken me to cut 4 on the bandsaw that i've got. the idea of making door stops out of the off cuts of the bottle holders worked out pretty good too. now its just a minimal amount of sanding and a good slopping of mineral oil, and i'm home free!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

pics of everything tomorrow.

all the sanding is done!

sorry about the lack of pics, busy times around here, and plain old forgot the camera. :doh:
got busy with it again today, weather has not really been too promising around here the last few days. looks like rain, but does nothing, then, on the way to work, the clouds part and the sun shines.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
got all the items sanded today, and i'm going to start the oiling of everything tonight after i get home from work.:D

the oiling has begun!

today is oiling day!:D started with the door stops, went on to the wine bottle holders, then half of the cheeseboards, before i ran out of time.

Attachments

• door stops oiled.JPG
    door stops oiled.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 18
  • wine bottle holders oiled.JPG
    wine bottle holders oiled.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 18
  • first set of cheeseboards oiled.JPG
    first set of cheeseboards oiled.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 18
today's progress

started oiling the second set of cheeseboards today. tomorrow morning, the cutting boards... :D

Attachments

• second set of cheeseboards oiled.JPG
    second set of cheeseboards oiled.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 6