Out of The Blue.........

Congratulations on the machine Stu. Are you going to try and incorporate some sort of dust collection into the enclosure? If this keeps up you will definitely have to think about expanding the dungeon!

Thanks Alan.

Yes, there will be some sort of DC on that machine, eventually, just to pick up the worst of it, as on a long big job, the shavings can become substantial. I have a small hose that would work perfect for it, I'll just have to rig it up so that it can traverse the entire work area without a problem. I'll also be putting in ventilation fans.

The Dungeon is not getting bigger, and I'll have to be cleaning things up a bit more. Once the first gen iCarver is shipped out to it's new owner, then the 2nd Gen iCarver will set in that space, I can then lose the router table that is supporting it now, as I put a new router table into the SawStop wing. That will free up some much needed space.

Cheers!

I don't know very much about carving. I was under the impression that a 3 axis machine worked with the length, width, and depth dimensions. I have heard from a very reliable source (reruns of The Twilight Zone :rofl:) that the fourth dimension is time. So using my great powers of reasoning, which usually requires a lot of :huh:, I determined that you mean they are going to build a carving/time travel machine.
Does that mean that if you have a project with a deadline, you can put it off as long as you want and still get it done on time? :huh: :dunno:
I better go take a nap. All this deep thinking wore me out. :zzz:

Great score, by the way. :thumb: :congrats:

Boy, if they could sell a machine that would edit time, I think they would really have a winner! :D:thumb:

I got some more work done on the enclosure on Sunday......

eclosure_setting.jpg
I cleaned off the platform from the 1st gen iCarver and set up for the 2nd Gen iCarver.
I put down this 1/4" thick really heavy stuff they use for sound proofing here, it is very heavy and almost like a semi hard tar.

anti-vibration_pad.jpg
On top of that matting, I put these anti-vibration pads, I have 8 of them in place, the enclosure will sit on top of them.

enclosure2.jpg
Here is the new enclosure ready for the 2nd Geb iCarver,

2nd_gen_icarver_at_home.jpg
Then today, Monday, Alex came by and we loaded up the 1st Gen iCarver to take down to his place and he helped me get the 2nd gen iCarver into it's new home 5:)5

happy_guy.jpg
Here is Alex and the new toy..........ah tool :D

A good day for sure!

Totally a good day for me too. Many thanks Stu for all your help getting the toyl (new word coinage perhaps) down do my place and for keeping in mind when the new one came into your shop. Looking at the picture it is sure is looking like the space dictator. I'm going to have work out a solution to fit it in. And I also want to make a new router table...:huh: Talk to you later dude. :wave:

The Dungeon is not getting bigger, and ...

Sorry Stu, I was a little late getting to this thread, but this statement really stood out for me.

Why not?!! I see the potential for at least a year of a truly great thread, as you starting digging to one side in the dungeon. Can you imagine the discussions we would have on different shoring techniques, spoils disposal, etc? The discussion on the new space layout alone, would probably consume a couple of months of posts.

Sorry Stu, I was a little late getting to this thread, but this statement really stood out for me.

Why not?!! I see the potential for at least a year of a truly great thread, as you starting digging to one side in the dungeon. Can you imagine the discussions we would have on different shoring techniques, spoils disposal, etc? The discussion on the new space layout alone, would probably consume a couple of months of posts.

Well Bill, I would not get far, look at how close the next door neighbour is.........

roof_next_door_uncles.jpg

Left side

and on the right side......

roof_next_door_house.jpg

not much space to dig is there :rolleyes: :wave:

Totally a good day for me too. Many thanks Stu for all your help getting the toyl (new word coinage perhaps) down do my place and for keeping in mind when the new one came into your shop. Looking at the picture it is sure is looking like the space dictator. I'm going to have work out a solution to fit it in. And I also want to make a new router table...:huh: Talk to you later dude. :wave:

Hey Alex that looks too big for your shop you should send that over here to Victoria and I have lots of space in my shop to "store" it for you. Hey what are family for? :rofl::rofl: Cheers on the new Toyl ( like that expression). So Stu when they send you the next upgrade can I have the next old one? :rolleyes:

Stu you had me going there for a bit... for some reason I saw the first roof shot as a view in the dungeon... some sort of catacomb with the pipes etc...

then I pulled it down and rotated 90* and it made sense again.

looking at it with your railing on the right side made it look like an escher print what with the shrubbery growing horizontally (from that camera angle at least)

Attachments

• roof_next_door_uncles.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Well Bill, I would not get far, look at how close the next door neighbour is.........

Left side

and on the right side......

roof_next_door_house.jpg

not much space to dig is there :rolleyes: :wave:

Down Stu, Lots of space to dig down. Or you could buy up the neighbors house and expand your shop. Yea Yea I know, I'm just the idea guy. Don't ask me the questions about financing that is what we have bankers for. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Cheers on the new cnc router. I am really interested in hearing the review on how it works. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The neighbours all have foundations and basements too, so I'd go about a a foot and hit concrete :dunno:

Nope, I'm going to just have to deal with what I got. :D

buttoned_up.JPG

Tonight I used a piece of rigid blue foam to button up the enclosure and ran the iCarver, I'll put it this way, my inkjet printer is a LOT louder than the iCarver is now, and with a proper door, and the better carpet underlay sound absorbing material, I'll have to look to see if the machine is actually running :D

Down Stu, Lots of space to dig down...

I was thinking the same thing. Go vertical, not horizontal. A subdungeon, if you will. If Stu digs down, he won't run into any neighbors until he reaches China. No, wait. He's in Asia already. If he digs straight down, I think he'll end up somewhere around Lima, Peru. :D

I was thinking the same thing. Go vertical, not horizontal. A subdungeon, if you will. If Stu digs down, he won't run into any neighbors until he reaches China. No, wait. He's in Asia already. If he digs straight down, I think he'll end up somewhere around Lima, Peru. :D

I just looked at the old Globe I pulled out of the school garbage in the summer and I think it would end up just off the coast of Argentine and Uruguay. So coming up under the atlantic ocean is not such a good thing Stu. Of course it would give you ocean front property. :rofl:

looks like a great idea with the foam Stu. How are you dealing with the dust?
What are the costs of these units Stu if you had to purchase them?